Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

We opened the Montes Alpha Syrah 2013. Perhaps I should have opened it a bit before dinner. I found it all a bit ‘front of the mouth, fruity.’

Half a bottle is left. It’s been Vacuvin-ed. I reckon it could be better tomorrow night…

2 Likes

Another stonking Rose from Magestic. Need to get another order in.

3 Likes

Now it’s not exactly wine, but derived from it. Any how it may be from Tesco but it’s actually not bad, I have had a lot worse for a lot more.

Any way have a good VE bank holiday everyone

5 Likes

I had 1/2 a case of one of their reds that I’d been slowly working my way through, quite a nice drink. If my memory is correct didn’t Brian come from another successful maker in Aus.

@Pete_the_painter yes you are correct Brian Crosser was the founder of Petaluma Vineyards all those years ago and then sold the name to Lion Nathan, how ever the Tapanappa Vineyard is based at the orginal Petulma Tiers vineyard and wineary which Brian owned with his wife, the winery and offices are now the base for Tapanappa, Brian runs the company with his daughter Lucy and her husband Xavier Bizot who is a member of the Bollinger family

back some time ago the sparkling wine from Petaluma Crosser the Bollinger family we then investors, Xaviers’ brother Eitenen is the big boss of the Bollinger family wineraries - Bollinger, Ayala, Chanson, Langlois Chateau and Delamain Cognac - they are also partners with thier distrubtors in key markets - I think Oz is Fine wine partners??

Petaluma, that’s correct use to be a great label before the take over they they’re not so prominent now. Made a great resiling and sparkling. In the early 2000’s I went to a tasting and meet Brian, think it might have been his first release of the Tapanappa brand.

Must try it …
I had a glug of the Waitrose one last night to improve my spirits.

1 Like

I had a generous glass of the Montes Alpha Syrah 2013 last night after work and loved it. Big and rich with a long finish. It seemed more balanced than the night before. I want to say that it had the dark mouthfeel of an Amarone, if anyone knows what I mean. These things are so hard to describe aren’t they?!

It could be that I nip to the Co-op for another…

2 Likes

Continuing my search for a decent light red, this time it’s a Pinot Noir from Marlborough NZ. This ones quite enjoyable.

4 Likes

Bender PN from Germany.

Hard to pick blind as a PN, rich, tasty.

4 Likes

An Alsace tasting was a good excuse to open this stonkingly good Gewurz. Have to say that this was great as an aperitif and with cheese later on. A wi e will remember for some time

8 Likes

To have with ramen tonight

2 Likes

Birthday weekend wine. It’s in a pretty good place right now. Opened up with an hour in the decanter and it is very good indeed. I can understand how one of these could upstage the might of France in the Judgement of Paris.

9 Likes

Happy Birthday, and great choice.

1 Like

I cooked lamb for today’s lunch. Even though a tricky year, this 2002 Muga Reserva still showed its class with nicely aged fruit along with a touch of menthol and pencil - yummy!

14 Likes

Slowly working my way through the half case I have of this 2014 Barossa Valley Shiraz. Each bottle seems to be better than the last, very enjoyable.

3 Likes

Nice delivery van driver just left my Cantele order in the porch,

with a cheery smile and a wave :smiley: :+1:

7 Likes

It is time…

6 Likes

That should be good. Penfolds make great reds. :+1:

1 Like

Thought I’d open this tonight, Langmeil Massimo.

6 Likes