Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Worth bearing in mind that it remains much more valuable/saleable as a whole case.
Eleven bottles will not be worth anywhere near as much as 11/12th of the price of a case.

Currently trading at €33/bottle. If you needed/wanted to sell it quickly you could get 90% of that. If you wanted to buy it retail you’d be looking at about €50 (inc VAT). Selling it privately would get somewhere between those figures. Idealwine would be a place to start, or bidforwine. Serious people would not buy (or sell) wine on ebay.

Will it constitute a good investment? No-one knows, but given that its supply is finite and dwindling and the interest rate for money is pretty much zero, then it will almost certainly increase in value. But not by much, and selling it is not easy, and is dependent on finding a waiting buyer. Ideally you would want to be storing it somewhere (professional) with guaranteed conditions (temperature/humidity etc) - this is a key aspect of being able to sell wine in the future.

Personally I’d drink it! (Unless the present and future economic unrest means you might need to turn it into cash) It will be providing lovely vinous pleasure currently and for some time into the future.

2 Likes

To have with bbq ribeye tonight

7 Likes

Thanks Rod! That was my inclination, but part of me wondered, recognising that once I start the case it won’t likely be that great an investment unless I were to hold for another couple of decades -and it still be good.

A very dependable Collioure - not had it for a while

1 Like

Having acquired this serious piece of meat that was originally destined for Brat in Shoreditch, I think a serious bottle is called for. The meat was aged for 55 days and the 06 Boekenhoutskloof Syrah is meant to be drinking well so am sure we will have a stonking evening.

11 Likes

From today’s Jancis Robinson column in the FT - our very own Rod Smith!

7 Likes

Not sure at all about the bottle but this is a superb rose. I think it might have won a Decanter award last year (whatever that means). Serving with braised tomato, aubergine and squid from Marie Elia’s brilliant book of modern Greek recipes - Smashing Plates. Highly recommended

1 Like

I cooked roast beef for Sunday lunch. The wine I chose was this 2001 Wynn’s Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon.

It made for a fascinating comparison against the 1999 bottle I drank a couple of weeks back. This one definitely tasted younger, the fruit with less of a raisin touch, and the coconut and menthol notes were more pronounced with a bit less pencil. Overall, I’ve decided that the 1999 is holding up well but I probably need to drink up, but this 2001 might just last a bit longer although its drinking very nicely now, and I probably wouldn’t want to lose any more of the fruit. Yum…

11 Likes

Drink it :slight_smile:

Yep, one down, 11 to go (but I’ll make them last a while!)

I’m currently making my way through the 2006. 5 left out of a case of 12.

1 Like

Meursault Les Genevrières 2013 Olivier Leflaive
Saturday’s first wine, Zoom dinner and drinkies with old college friends, 5 houses across 2 countries. Lovely clear yellow colour. Opulent nose, creamy oak, sweet yeasty notes and a nice apply acidity. Rich opulent palate, intense power, buttery creamy Chardonnay flavours, fine well-balanced apple and citrus acidity, nice mineral notes. Flavour lingers for a long time with a creamy perfume. Powerful rich wine, lots of time left.
I’m ashamed to admit that the dinner ran on for 7 hours and I followed this with the other bottle of the Nuits St Georges Perrières I had a few weeks ago, very similar to the previous bottle, nice fruits but generally boring. The remains of the NSG enhanced a gravy.

12 Likes

Anyone for umami? Absolutely delicious - intense taste, a good foil for the blue cheese from Northern Ireland in the selection from Coyrtyard Dairy. Love sherry!

6 Likes

Are you drinking it chilled or is it just water on freshly washed glass?

It was chilled and ambient temperature around 25C. Extremely refreshing though not a wine one could ever “quaff”

A nice Clare Valley Shiraz, should go well with tonight porterhouse.

4 Likes

A crafty aperitif and this is mire like a Campari! Adi Badenhorst’s take on a Cape classic is great for a lovely warm evening

My contribution to International Chardonnay Day is the Newton Johnson Family Vineyard 2016 Chardonnay. Lovely and fresh. Quality new world that would happily contribute to a lineup with some good Burgs!

3 Likes

Zoom meeting and tasting with the owner/winemaker this afternoon will post later today

3 Likes

The WS says that this wine has pale yellow robe. Has a salty, pear fruit aroma, with aniseed here as well. The palate bears bright, simple white fruit that sets it up for the aperitif, or to accompany hors d’oeuvres dishes. It is easy to drink, a clear drop, but rather forgettable. The finish is mild.

I opened this today as I was looking for a wine I could use in a fish fumet that would be used to poach some monkfish. My notes say that the wine should be enjoyable for another 5 years. It has a longer finish than is suggested above, perhaps too good for the fish.

3 Likes