Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Classy Syrah based blend:

5 Likes

One of my Vintage Cellar Plan selections from the Wine Society that I was worried might be over the hill but is in fact in excellent shape. No idea what the 2003 vintage was like in Bendigo but this is shaping up very niceX carries its 14% very lightly and while tannins are nicely evolved there are no real tertiary notes just some nice bramble fruit. Good job really as still got 5 more!

7 Likes

…no time like the present, so as I was cooking roast beef for lunch I decide to have one of the bottles of Guigal Cotes de Rhone 2011 to accompany. And, it went down very nicely. In fact, I also discovered that this one is wonderful accompaniment to a lovely organic cheddar I couldn’t resist sampling this evening…

10 Likes

It’s celebration time here at HH towers. Our youngest has been awarded Loughborough University’s BSc Mathematics prize for the highest average degree mark, 87.6%. Where he gets it from I’ve no idea.

17 Likes

Fantastic news. Enjoy the celebration glass.

Presented a tasting tonight of some of the best wine of Provence and the Riviera to a bunch of lovely (socially distanced) visitors at an exquisite villa in St Paul de Vence.
Turns out they are all patrons of a joint Tate:Fondation Maeght Venture, and it might become a regular thing for me.
(As well as being able to talk about art and wine.)

My first face-to-face work thing since March, and that felt good!

Also my first time wearing long trousers for some time, which felt less good, but more grown up.

(Wines not tasted in same order as photograph.

7 Likes

What’s the Abelard like? I see Waitrose Cellar has it at £59.

It’s very good indeed. This was 2007 which is coming to peak now (but could certainly keep). The relatively high-altitude vineyards prolong the growing season and make a full flavoured rich wine which avoids jamminess or inelegance.
That is a good price (relative to the market). Equivalent Châteauneuf du Pape super-cuvées (which it resembles) cost more.

2 Likes

Ring Bolt Cabernet Sauvignon 2018 Margaret River
This a a young wine which is already quite delectable. Very rich red colour. Black cherries and cassis on palate. Lovely silky tannins . Great depth of flavour. It’s won the trophy for the best Margaret river wine against many wines costing over 5 times as much . I can see why. It has sold out in NZ but I note Tescos has it for £10. Well worth getting a case as it should easily keep for 10 years plus.

5 Likes

That looks nice.

1 Like

Right up there with Langmeil Pete !

1 Like

visited Hambledon yesterday, lovely part of the UK, not far from Petersfield, they welcome visitors so if you are in the area,

only produce 4 wines all of which I think are excellent - personal Fav is the Prestige Cuvee -

4 Likes

TWS exhibition Riesling 2012. They say I should have drunk this by last year, but it’s not over the hill. To be savoured with a Sauce grebiche, potato and courgette salad.
Their notes say:
This is Alsace riesling at its best: full-flavoured, mineral and fully dry with no oak influence. The palate has a steely, citrus character and a delicate floral touch. Persistent and with a real aptiude for food, this wine works well with anything from ceviche to sauerkraut. It comes from Josmeyer’s biodynamically farmed vines between the villages of Wintzenheim and Turckheim.

The Alsace domaine of Josmeyer dates back to 1854, when Aloyse Meyer set himself up as a négociant to supply restaurants. His grandson Hubert added part of his father’s name to create the company name, Josmeyer. Though technically still a négociant, practically everything that Josmeyer produces comes from the estate’s 31 hectares which are located between the towns of Turckheim and Wintzenheim near Colmar.
Each generation has left its mark here. Hubert, who died in 2005, created the export market. His son Jean further raised quality levels. He more or less abandoned the négociant side and then switched the whole estate to biodynamic farming. Jean was an outstanding cook, as is his wife, Odile, and gastronomy was always present at any discussion and when creating their cuvées.
Jean died in 2016, leaving his two quite extraordinary daughters at the helm. Céline is in charge of the books and sales and her sister Isabelle is in charge of the cellar. Both daughters are artistically gifted and helped their father design the look of the ranges.
From the beginning, Josmeyer has been identified with the vineyards of Brand and Hengst, now among Alsace’s top grands crus. Hengst produces fine full-flavoured riesling and gewurztraminer, while from Brand there is also pinot gris which is invariably bone dry and among the best in Alsace. A curiosity of the house is a cuvée of old-vine auxerrois from the Hengst.

3 Likes

My favourite red, this 2013 Penfolds St Henri Shiraz should go well with a couple of steaks on the BOQ. It’s such a shame I’m the only one that drinks red. :grin: It’ll take 2 nights.

8 Likes

Hi ,
We are currently at our house in France and are drinking ( a lot ) of Rosé during the current mini canicule . Our favourite for everyday drinking is from our friend Corinne Dupeyre 20 Euros for 5 litres bag in box IMG_1607|375x500

3 Likes

Two interesting Alsatian field blends , the usual way of making Alsatian whites from several different grapes until the Hitler Youth destroyed the vineyards late in the war.

Hugel “Gentil” 2016

Muscat, Pinot blanc, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Blanc,Sylvaner, Riesling, Gewurztraminer
Light yellow, nose predominantly lemon and honey. On palate crisp and delicious like a dry Riesling with spicy notes.

Marcel Deiss “Langenberg” 2015

Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Muscat, Pinot Noir
A hand picked biodynamic blend 3x more expensive than the Gentil.
Rich golden colour. Marzipan, toffee, lifted florals on nose. Very rich palate of great depth with round honey, lemon and also red cherries, I guess from the Pinot noir. Acidic finish. Lovely.

Both very good with bacon and pea risotto

8 Likes

Thanks for the heads up Hugh, picked up a couple of bottles yesterday from a local Tesco.
Cheers.

1 Like

I remember when our local Costco used to stock a St Henri at decent cost (20 quid region if memory serves me right) wish I’d bought and stashed a few!

1 Like

Always likesd Semilliom as a grape, this one is particularly fine from Kilikanoon

4 Likes

Top quality manzanilla:

6 Likes