Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

I attend the MW seminar in Deidesheim every year ! (January). We stay in the hotel opposite and use the training rooms of the VDP at Von Winning. Such a lovely small town! (And great winery).

And of course you could never be without a Togo Consulate, now that you have experienced that luxury…!

Thats around the corner, the Togo Consulate. Are you here in January coming ? Also like Dr. von Bassermann-Jordan and Dr. Bürklin-Wolf, of the thousands to try!

2 Likes

That’s (still) the plan! But plans these days seem to find ways of changing and evaporating…

If I don’t get to come I shall miss running past this!

3 Likes

2003 Prieure de Saint-Jean de Bebian Languedoc

In peak condition. Spicy, mature, complex.

5 Likes

Lovely wine - I buy it every year en primeur from WS. Fantastic wine for the money

2 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

…had a cork disaster but nothing a bit of muslin can’t handle, still airing in the rather large glass which will enjoy later after bedtime stories - the amount of sludge and depth of colour was quite something!
…and yes, I know I need a larger decanter! lol
Although saying that…having to drink half decant half might be a good excuse…

2 Likes

Just looked at this again Rod, was that a 1984 La Chapelle or are my eyes deceiving me ? I had a half case in halves of the ‘84 years ago, my memory of it is that it massively outperformed any clarets I had from ‘84, it was a lovely classy Northern Rhône which I could have kept much longer if it hadn’t been so drinkable at 10-20 years.

1 Like

It was! A good(-ish) year for Rhône, but poor in Bordeaux (and Burgundy). It was very good, but I think we all felt that probably past or passing its peak now.
The Château des Tours Vacqueras was the star discovery for me - pure (I think) Grenache from the Rayas people - it was spectacularly good.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll hunt down some of the Château des Tours.

Tonight’s tipples (shared with a friend), 2008 & 2009 Grand Puy Lacoste, forgot to take pictures in glass and decanter. The ‘09 was very similar to the bottle I described fairly recently above, lovely powerful claret with fantastic balance. The ‘08 had a fine ruby colour with a bit of bricking at the rim The nose was lovely, medium weight cassis and plum, with aromatic spice and earthy tannins. That follows through to the palate, medium acidity and cedar/earth tannins frame medium weight cassis and dark fruits, with lovely spicy notes. It’s a seriously classy act.
We started with the ‘08, took a small taste of the ‘09 half way through to help compare, then drank the ‘09 after we’d finished the ‘08. Lovely and balanced though the ‘09 was we both preferred the ‘08, it’s less rich, but so so well balanced, everything in proportion, and the complexity is wonderful. It’s probably going to fade in 5 years, maybe 10, while the ‘09 will probably last longer, but I doubt if the ‘09 will ever be so perfectly balanced. To be clear the ‘09 is a lovely wine, richness well balanced by classic structure, but despite the lower weight and power we both preferred the classic style of the ‘08.

8 Likes

One bottle left of the 03 and still very good indeed. Like @crispyduck I have a number from the WS Languedoc offer most years - along with Daumas Gassac it is one of the best of the region.

You have reminded me I need to get my 07 out of bond and probably my 09 white as well.

The three I buy every year are the Prieure, Daumas Gassac and the Faugere Les Bastides d’Alquier

1 Like

Jancis Robinson’s column in today’s FT is all about Languedoc wines and she gives her top 20

Perfect Saturday night in wine from WS. An Austrian Zweigelt - slightly spicy but low tannins so great as TV wine.

3 Likes

Alter ego de Palmer 2005
Colour deep red with bricking. Classy bouquet of mocha and cassis. Palate very supple and with cassis, pencil lead, chocolate, undergrowth and very fine tannins. Taste lasts 30seconds. Very refined wine, lacking the sheer fruit of its bigger brother but a delight to drink. Great with homemade cheeseburgers! A touch of greatness not often encountered in my day to day experience.

10 Likes

A pair of 2014 Domaine de la Noblaie ‘Pierre de Tuf’ to have with roast pork for lunch today. I have always enjoyed Cabernet franc with pork and this is a particularly fine example. I bought this from the domaine and a very nice young man gave me a tour including the limestone tufa which gives this wine its distinctive character

3 Likes

if you like Cabernet Franc (and I do) look out for the 2017 Red’s they are a delight

2 Likes