Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

The last of my Leon Beyer 2012 to accompany the cricket. My knowledgeable friend reckons it’s past it’s best - but how do you tell with a Riesling?
There is still acidity, with a slight petrol nose and some body in the mouth; it’s just not exciting.

1 Like

I like this wine, but the last six of the 2010 that were picked up for me by a friend as they went past the winery had at least three that were corked. I say “at least” as I have one left and its condition is unknown as yet!

Best

David

Chester

2 Likes

Oh that’s a shame !

Oh, er thought you were in France!

1 Like

White Taste the Difference Languedoc from Sainsbury’s. Thoroughly delicious with a rich mouthfeel, a slightly oily blend of grenache, marsanne and vermentino. A big cold dry white. A staple here.

We ate at lunchtime so it’s bread and scrape here this evening. Nevertheless I could see this going well with a fairly mild chicken curry etc.

Great for those who don’t want the more obvious dry whites. (And basically, that’s all of us).

2 Likes

It’s the chemicals as well, I always have a vision of budget American wines owing more to the chemistry set than the viniculture

4 Likes

Where all my investment in Naim kit seems to have been spent. Hoping that the annual show at the Hilton returns.

New Bollinger PNVZ 2015 and a lovely Samaur Rouge from Langlois, 2017 reds are sublime

5 Likes

Bollinger - say no more!
Domaine Langlois do some excellent well priced wines Our favourite was the Cabernet Franc. Theres an ‘Ecole du Vin’ if you do the tour and also a restaurant in the caves nearby, which remains nice and cool on the hottest of days.

1 Like

Cuvee Les Hauts de Naudon 2016
The second growth from Chateau Pierrail and a fine wine in its own right excellent with lamb. Weve enjoyed their wines for a good few years and visit when we are in the region, which is about as far east as you could classify a Bordeaux - nearly into Bergerac.

5 Likes

Yes, it goes to show that a specific vineyard and a specific producer can produce excellent wines in so called lesser vintages. This is where a good wine merchant comes into their own as these wines are often less expensive than wines from “better” vintages. It was the best Pinot noir I have had the pleasure to taste. New world pinots are good at achieving varietal character but this wine was in a different category and has made me re- evaluate future wine purchases. I would rather spend £70 a month on one bottle such as this, than seven £ 10 bottles. Would save storage space and liver cells!

2 Likes

Last bottle of 2012 Guigal Cote du Rhône drank this evening with some lamb chops, and Good King Henry (poor man’s spinach).

http://www.manorfarmherbs.co.uk/herbinfo/good_king_henry

The wine went well with the lamb, and with the Single Gloucester cheese. But I have not bought Guigal for some time, rather I’ve bought en primeur Rhône from TWS. The Guigal has been relegated to every day wine.

1 Like

Glass of 2019 Chateau NFG barrel aged Pineau des Charantes aperatif then
Cote du Rhone from a box but its quite good

bit knackered as been pressing grapes, lots of them this year, pic of press below

8 Likes

Back on offer at Majestic, LB7 Lisboa Reserva 2108, a fruity, full bodied, aged in oak, winner.

Hit that “buy now” button, folks.

4 Likes

I know it’s a case of ‘more fool me’, Dave, but I cannot stand that bottle. I just don’t want it on the table.

Easily solved? :man_shrugging: :wink:

4 Likes

Has a Spinal Tap ‘none more black’ quality to the bottle!

1 Like

Friends just invited themselves to lunch.
They are bringing some three year old Comté and Roquefort Papillon .
A bottle of organic CDR from a French neighbour should go down well.

3 Likes

Not a particularly classy start to the weekend but when given a gift one has to attack it with gusto.

One and a half litres of semi sweet fizz to enjoy. (complete with nuts)

!.

5 Likes