Who’s Pairing 252DR/250DR?

Many stop at 282/250 but I’ve found the 252DR lifts the 250DR to a whole other level in terms of naturalness and ‘presence’.

Are many others using these together?

G

5 Likes

When I upgraded to a black box system from Olive during a long demo at the dealers I much preferred the the pairing of the 252 over the 282 just seemed more natural and controlled.

1 Like

I ran a 252 with a 250DR for a number of years and really liked it … if I hadn’t been offered a NOS 300DR for a silly price I would still have the 250DR … it was that good.

2 Likes

I am. Very happy. No desire to change anything.

2 Likes

Nope.
282 and 300DR.
Tested 250DR. No way…

2 Likes

So far 282hcdr and250 dr. Also didn’t think my sources warranted anything less than a substantial change, as they have been up-graded LP-12 is now at akurate level with ekos and krystal, bare ndx2. Also nat 05 and cd5 .As I’ve been building a “no upgrade” system, I’d like to eventually go to 552 and maybe 300 amp

2 Likes

Very happy with 252/250 combo. Use it nearly every day.

1 Like

I was happy with the 252/250. Happy until I slotted in a 552 …whole new ballgame imo. The 252/250 was a great amp for me though and the DR’s will give it that little extra as well.

3 Likes

252DR with three 250DRs here into active Briks. Very happy with this set up. Since I’ve been working from home since March it’s been running pretty much constantly fronted by the NAT01 mainly. No desire to return to 3hrs of commuting into London again.

3 Likes

:raising_hand_man:252DR/250DR

1 Like

Would 250DR ever benefit from a separate powersupply ? Everything else in the range seems to.
Is the 250DR an exception here ?
Excuse my ignorance.

As I understand it that, essentially, is what a NAP300DR is.

3 Likes

There is no separate PS for the 250 that can be added later. The 300 is essentially the 250 with a separate PS, and the additional advantage that it is designed for this from the start and does not waste space in the head unit for a redundant internal PS

2 Likes

Never realised this, thanks. Makes all some more sense now.

Strangely, the NAP 250DR seems to be carrying away all the accolades, not just in terms of value for money it seems to me. Should really listen to both I guess.
Thanks for explaining this simple truth to me.

1 Like

You mean vs the 300? Not my impression from the forum, I think with comparably good sources and pre, most people prefer the 300 (though maybe not with a 282 or 202). For me personally it was not even subtle. As I related in older posts when I made the decision, I needed a new power amp earlier in the year (the system was modest, non-Naim except for a CD5i-2, and completely different from the one that is now in my profile) and was at first reluctant to spend significantly more than 2000 on it. This was not satisfying and I ended up listening to a bunch of non Naim amps around the 3-4000 mark but still wasn’t convinced vs the RoteI I had. Then I listened to the 250 and the others were out of the question immediately, but I still didn’t want to spend this kind of money. Then I listened to the 300 and bought it on the spot. (And then I went to buy 252/SC/NDX2/555PS, so beware of the 300 :star_struck: )

I see you have a Nova, if you are thinking about pairing a 300 with the Nova, see the posts by @iliria who did this recently and I am not sure if entirely happy.

1 Like

I can see me following in your footsteps if I buy the 300.

Luck will have it, I am utterly satisfied with what I hear now, so I am certainly not in a rush. Problem is, I buy on impulse !

I followed the various Nova upgrade dramas with interest . Truth is , the Nova is utter magic with Qobuz and flac on tap through some 30 year old Linn speakers.

1 Like

Yes the Nova is great, while I was thinking about and then waiting on the 252 etc., and my usual pre was stuck in repairs for 6+ months due to Covid reasons (unobtainable parts needed), I used a loaned Nova (into 300) and was very impressed.

Most definitely very happy with the combination. :grinning: I am sure that adding a 252, NDX2, etc will improve the sound even more however until I do that I am enjoying my 300DR+Nova. The difference in sound is not jawdropping but it is substantial and noticeable. The bass prticularly, benefits the most. It is nice and tight and very well controlled.

I echo your warning to beware the 300. :grin:

2 Likes

I really liked my 252DR/250DR set. Still got the 250DR

2 Likes

Good onya we need more folk to defend the mighty 250DR. It’s only natural if you spend more money you’d expect the 300 to be better than the 250. You’d be a little annoyed if you had spent the money and it wasn’t.

2 Likes