Who will be or won't be playing Xmas music this weekend?

Without fail Johnny Mathis gets a lot of Christmas play time.

But got covid this year and can’t be bothered.

Nothing brings it to light so much as being a cyclist. My cyclist friends and I joke about it (but not entirely) that when XMas season starts, motorists become far more rude and hateful (and dangerous). It’s so obvious too.

One time we were riding along a rural road next to a church, and the church ladies working the church garden near the road scowled at us, saying “get off the road.” We stopped and said, “oh, did you learn that hated and intolerance in church this morning?” They weren’t too happy about that, but sometimes you just have to have some fun with peoples’ ignorance. :slight_smile:

OK, back on topic. I like Bach’s Christmas Cantatss. Great works!.

1 Like

There is probably as much to be said about the behavior of some cyclists in traffic as there is to be said about some motorists. None of the groups is made up of only saints or only bastards, in the end it’s all about individuals…

3 Likes

Indeed I’m a driver and a cyclist and and notice a similar let’s be polite and call it roguishness among both cohorts but unfortunately a rogue driver can kill a cyclist whereas a rogue cyclist is much more likely just to annoy than cause fulminant injury to anyone.

.sjb

2 Likes

Exactly. There have been traffic studies that note cyclists disobey traffic ordinances about as much as motorists (no more, no less). The difference is when motorists do that and get it wrong they destroy life, limb and property. When cyclists do it they mostly just ruin the good cheer (sometimes drunken) of motorists, but aren’t really a problem otherwise, other than being an annoyance.

Totally with you on this.

Wow, that’s awful, though not something I’ve experienced as a cyclist. (There is cyclist-hate around, but no difference at Christmas.) The only difference I’d say around Christmas is that there are more drunk people around in the evening, and when I commuted to work it was dark, and when the sun is up it is very low so in the eyes for longer.

I will most certainly not run any Christmas Music. I hate it and I am already fed up with what I have to endure at commercials and at my mothers place…

1 Like

Christma Day usually gets Bach’s Christmas Oratorio played.

1 Like

I think it’s magic for kids. Traditional German decorations; no tinsel or non white lights; the smells of Xmas cuisine; waiting for Santa. As a kid, I loved it at my house. Often thought it was cheap and tacky when seen at mate’s houses. We did Mathis on endless loop. They did Slade and Xmas mega hits like that.

I’d never want to deprive my kids of that.

Except this year. This Xmas is a write off.

I will be playing Christmas music tonight right all the way up there:

Using my integrated streamer-preamp-amp-activespeaker system:
grafik

Merry Christmas everyone!

4 Likes

Well now let’s see…

3 Likes

Early tomorrow, Joan Baez - Noel, perhaps The Quadriga Consort and maybe rely on Radio 3 to provide some background, and Francis Albert Sinatra on vinyl near lunchtime

I have a playlist with about 75 hours of christmas and winter themed music which i add to each year with a few albums that take my fancy… its been on shuffle for the last few days and will continue during the festivities as back ground music rather than serious listening.

1 Like

Just started off with is this gem.

6 Likes

3 Likes

Ba Humbug

I tend to avoid it… best entertainment… well, old films really. However what I will be actually listening to across the entire holiday period will be… my patient’s stories… it’s the life of the “Out of Hours GP” (ie we work when normal GP surgeries are shut!) :smile: My wife will be watching the old films…

2 Likes

This?

Thought it might be considered inappropriate. But since you asked…
It IS my favourite Christmas album…
Especially the track Ho Ho beep Ho… :grin: :innocent:

1 Like

I hope things get better for you soon fz.

1 Like