Why does my breaker trip occasionally when I power up my 250

Years ago with an early 250, on swith on, the lights would dim for a few seconds.

Electrical installations and utility supplies to dwellings can vary, especially with older installations. Little is made of this in the HiFi world, and yet we babble on about tiny tweaks.

With regard to power distribution companies, I think the main thing that will affect SQ that you have control over is earthing setup… whether PME or TT.
TT is nearly always better for low noise mains… and I try and mention that when I can. In my experience hugely more relevant than having a dedicated radial in most domestic setups, in my opinion… especially with Naim setups where the earth ground is not decoupled.

I do wonder how many times when peeps say their system has sounded better or worse at a point in time that is down to them using PME distribution…

I can’t imagine most would know what type of installation they have!
It may say by their incoming fuse.
But the age of their house/supply will be a good start for those that don’t know for sure. Older supply or living in a rural area then more likely to have TT. New build always TNCS ( PME).

No they probably wouldn’t, other than if you have done nothing to change it or you are in a very old property, or your property consists of several outbuildings you will likely have PME.
The tell tale sign of TT is one or more large earth electrodes close to your house… often with a big yellow sticker on it…with a fairly thick earth lead going back to your consumer box.
Most properties, rural, urban or suburban are PME.
Typical village 4 wire overhead or bundled overhead wiring will by default provide PME.

New build in an estate or development cluster will nearly always be PME… isolated new build properties may be TT

Aye, we had to have a type C fitted for a high pressure (domestic) sprinkler system pump. I guess you really don’t want that to trip when it starts running!

Quick update, new 32amp c type fuse fitted and all problems resolved with a noticeable uplift in sound. A bit more earthy natural sounding to these ears but importantly it doesn’t keep tripping the breaker.
Result.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.