Why does noise floor drop when you add a large psu?

Other than a different field strength pattern, no.
I high efficiency Toroidal transformer can more easily saturate and can actually create more EM pollution than a low efficiency transformer when saturating.

The main advantage of the larger Toroidal transformer is its lower source impedance, hence load regulation,

Was the old PSU a DR before the 555DR? This would make a difference.

You´re looking at AC mostly but you are right with what you said about transformers.

But effects that can easily be heard are more likely related to the DC section of an amplification stage. Separating DC for any stage better isolation of the stage and higher resolution capabilities of the so operated amplification stage. Same with reducing ripple in DC.

Before the 555DR I used only the 272’s onboard psu.

That’s a lightweight. You should try lifting a Statement toroid.

1 Like

Reminds me of the construction of the Statement as shown in the Hi-Fi News picture as part of their review. There is a very earnest looking middle aged man in a white coat using a block and tackle. Similar to the removal of an engine from a car.

Consider this: one of the design preferences for toroids is they are smaller and easier to work with than EI transformers of the same rating.

Imagine how big and heavy Naim gear would be if they went down that route :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s not really uncommon with beefy amps with 1-2k VA transformers when you go high end.

It’s a design choice like any other. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Don’t beleive anyone who’s convinced in the absolute superiority of one over the other.

I agree with you on this point, but I would assume that Naim uses remote sensing to minimize the source impedance of the active wires. Afterall, with all those lines in a Burndy, they have space for it.

If they do I have never heard them mentioning this… other than local regulators are used on many of their source devices.
But they do have power burndy management… so if the valid power combinations are not provided the device will flag an error and not enable to prevent damage. (Flashing LEDs etc)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.