Why has Naim still not fixed their app

You have quite the inventive imagination.

I just find it easier to use my phone .

I know, me too, I was merely attempting to lighten the mood a little!

Partially, yes. However, the childish issues such as those in the playlist editing and their frequency clearly tell that the root cause is on the people side.

It depends on the architecture of the application. If they bet on the wrong horse, they will need to spend a fortune to maintain two identical applications.
Say, Auralic’s software followed the same path and the Android version died.

Agree :slight_smile:

Let’s hope not, that would effectively brick the device for me.

Any application is dependant on the SDK of the underlying OS typically as would be the case with the Naim controller application.
On top of that you’re dealing with an enormous variety of hardware and OS versions then on top of that a multitude of home networks and Internet connectivity types.
Apple’s ecosystem is more defined and controlled and as such comes with fewer variables so inevitably compared to Android it will tend to behave more consistently.
You’ve even proved that yourself with a simple device change experiment.

2 Likes

As another poster said, the Cambridge app is much better. I used to have one, and it was easier touse, faster to respond, easier to find music, and more.

To correctly remove the item, look at my issue above, you don’t need any SDK or OS exercises. And you don’t need any CS degree. You should learn just programming basics.
If one knows how many beans make five, and is capable to remove the bean in the middle, then after some practice will be able to implement the item removal in the application.
These features are most trivial in such application. Look at the other software - the add/remove is a ubiquitous thing. Every software engineer writes these thing several times an hour.

Something must be wrong with me or my network here. I have a 1st gen streamer (Superuniti) and a 1st gen server (Unitiserve) and all works very well with the app. It never crashes to start with, plus it does not make me angry. And I use Android 12.
The search function in Tidal is not as good as in the native Tidal app - so what, search in the native app, save as favourite, an instant later it is visible in the Naim app.
Mrs Matt is a total IT nerd, two left hands and all thumbs, and even she can use the app without any issue.

1 Like

Hi @Pauel - it’s good to see that people on the forum are challenging these software issues with Naim.; fully agree. You see that since this is a Naim Forum, many people love the brand and try to solve issues with things like Roon, buying an iOS device, having a dedicated spur, etc …

I’m fully with you when it comes to spending these amounts of money on equipment that it should function as expected (and maybe a bit more).

2 Likes

The problems faced by the development team(s) when building something that has tight real-time integration into a wider networked system on the many hundreds of different variations of the Android platform are just not as trivial as you make them out to be.

5 Likes

Indeed, plus we have a huge variety of Naim products that the application interfaces with. Regression as we know is a major challenge and stating the simplicity of a fix without detailed knowledge of these issues suggests am obvious lack of experience.

You make it all sound so simple, maybe you should come join my team at work :grin:

In more practical terms, are you a member of the Android application beta group?
Voicing your grievences here, even with an accomodating and in some cases experienced audience with regards to application development, you’ll just end up in a circular arguement and will be unlikely to improve your environment and usability.
I’ve made multiple suggestions and may have to bow out gracefully from this particular dialogue.

2 Likes

I’d totaly disagree. There is no need in real-time communicaton, as the playlists are maintained on the application side, not in streamer :slight_smile:
The playlist is a cool project for the first year student who just started learning programming basics. However, for the mature engineer such thing is trivial.
So, when the issues are not fixed, there has to be an explanation. And, to me, the root cause is on the people side.
Say, if we were talking about the network related features, flashing, ROM, etc, I’d blame the other side - the hardware, protocols, SDK, OS, etc.

It’s good enough, which is not good enough, but once you have your play list set up the excellent remote is all you need. For a really slick experience and faultless operation, most of the rest of the industry puts Naim to shame, and mostly at lower price points.

The top price streamer is a superb source who’s sound quality and musical enjoyment is not hindered by the app. If you were shopping at that level and rejected the ND555 because of the app you would be cutting off your nose to spite your face, and losing out on a whole new music collection which is better than you ever imagined.

Have you tried it on Andriod? Don’t! Unless you can see the funny side of it!

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I spend up to 80% of my work on testing. I’m afraid my hobbies do not include anything I do on the work, i.e. listening to music.

I don’t think it’s as simple as that.

I use a an app call Squeezer to stream to a squeezebox touch.

If I stream music from a nas, when I reach the playlist on the app I can drag tracks, delete tracks, move to play next, move to end.
If I stream from qobuz, when I reach the playlist the only thing I can do is play the list, or tap a track to move the list forward. None of the functions listed above work.

Same app, same phone, different functionality with regards to playlist.

I remember this clip from several years ago. I work in database storage sector (if there is such a thing) and see customers do just the most silly things on a daily basis with catastrophic results. I mean, like career ending stupidity at times.

This clip still goes down as one of the funniest things I ever saw in my life. I know it’s a send up but it rings so true it brings streams of tears to my eyes every time.