Why have Electricity Prices gone up?

The market. The holy shrine we all love.

ā€œThe Marketā€ is too nebulous.

What is the underlying force that is driving the market ?

Weā€™ve all probably seen the graphs, itā€™s worrying and not just affecting us, but if demand has not rocketed over the same period, either prices are being manipulated in a sellerā€™s market or those supplies are rapidly dwindling which youā€™d assume governments across the world would have been aware of quite some time in advance.

Iā€™ll stop there as I donā€™t want to stray into politics.

Greed.

Ok, one step at a time.

Who is being greedy ?

Itā€™s not related to dwindling resources as these are large and widespread. Itā€™s mainly down to political uncertainty about getting access to those resources and the fear of insecure supply. The move away from coal is also leading to greater demand for gas.

I am!

Don, itā€™s a case of supply and demand, some speculation, and unfortunately for this thread, a good deal of politics thrown in the mix too, so best we stop here otherwise the thread will miraculously disappearā€¦

Thanks Richard. As the original question was kindly answered a while back, feel free to close this one down. We can always start a more specific and non political thread if needed.

Many thanks for everyones contribution - I got a lot of questions I had answered by many of you!

1 Like