Why no CD players with digital out?

Ditto, soon emptied the funds :smile:

Back in the day bought a new CD5XS then soon after nDAC (with PL) then in 2019 XPSDR for the nDAC which is still current source, all purchases/upgrades which felt right at the time

I’d be delighted we’re Naim to make a good transport, but others have pointed out what is happening to CD player sales, and that is presumably the key issue here.

A lot of people are waiting with cash in the hope of a new 272-equivalent. What looks to me like a slightly smaller number want an Uber-Nait to sit somewhere between SN3 + HCDR and 282/HCDR/250DR -but it is still much suggested.

One can plug a CD transport into the digital input of a streamer, but I would also imagine that Naim would be keener to launch a CD transport if they also had a replacement for the n-DAC on sale.

That’s quite a Wish List!

3 Likes

I can also vouch for the CD5XS roundhead as I have one which I use with the Naim NDAC and Naim XPS-2 , it’s a great combo

In fact my long suffering Naim dealer and myself listened to both the CD5XS and CDX2.2 with NDAC/XPS-2 and we could not detect any SQ differences , so going with the CD5XS you might be able to save some loot

Cheers

1 Like

What you did was to compare just the transports,when you compare the players the difference is very very noticeable.

Well they may be as stand alones but

CD5XS/NDAC/XPS-2

vs

CDX2.2/NDAC/XPS-2

Absolutely no difference in SQ

My Naim dealer of 40 years warned me and he was spot on

@Pete_the_painter has one of those too…

1 Like

Yes and it appears I’m not the one making him suffer, that damn Bevo would be a nightmare to deal with. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

He could probably retire on you two.

1 Like

Or seek professional help and a padded cell. :grin:

2 Likes

Don’t worry - life would be dull for Mr York if he didn’t have us to deal with :grinning::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wonder just how long they will have to wait :wink:

1 Like

Patience is a virtue as they say Paul

2023 could be interesting year , who knows

I had my CDX2 upgraded to a CDX2.2 (I have a Nova) and am very pleased

By the way , it’s a one way move

Yes and the transports were I believe the same?

1 Like

Having said that I wonder what difference having the CDX2.2 converted to transport only made?

1 Like

No wonder since basicaly they use the same transport.

It is very, very good.

One problem is that as audio equipment degrades with time, we can’t remember what it sounded like originally. All I can say is that the service from Naim ( both in servicing the product and being willing to service the product) has breathed life into my twenty year old machine.

I am very happy :blush: with the sound emerging from my Nova. In fact I am happier with the emerging sound than at any prior time of my thirty year Naim ownership.

1 Like

With a decent on board DAC, I suspect it makes more sense to have digital in to get longevity out of a good CD player than digital out. The DAC invariably outlasting the transport.

1 Like

Indeed, I’d hate to skip my CD555 if the transport can’t be replaced. A mod to equip it with a digital in would make it a fine standalone DAC I’m thinking.