Why only 2 DAC options?

Well, for good measure I got a Chord Qutest and a Chord Epic digital and plugged the thing in between my NDS/555PS DR and my NAC82 just to see what the fuss is all about. One immediate good thing is the option to choose different outputvoltages. Nice work Chord!

A loaner that isšŸ˜Š

2 Likes

Qutest is a superb bit of kit, esp. when powered by an SBooster + Ultra II.

1 Like

Indeed, the output level of a Naim streamer (like most digital sources) is way too high to allow a usable range on the volume pot of a Naim preamp, especially if you have sensitive speakers. The Chords and other non-Naim DACs are a great way to reduce the excessive level to one that is usable.

3 Likes

I have french speakers, Japanese server, Japanese/ Dutch cartridge, uk sources and electronics, and some cables from different lands.
Why should I buy all french?

4 Likes

Besides the UK connection between Naim and Chord products, there does seem to be a great synergy sound-wise. So-called PRaT is a desired and preferential quality/attribute out of many with these; they both do this particular one VERY well. I can see why theyā€™re mentioned often here.

Other standalone DACs have been mentioned that may or may not synergize with Naim (assuming weā€™re sticking to UK electronics here); itā€™d be a trial-and-error proposition, for sure, if purchasing blind. Denafrips and RME might be good examples of this. Iā€™ve not heard the latter, but a friend has a Denafrips Pontus II and what a DAC it isā€¦and in an all-Naim system. It has no business, IMO, performing as it does for its MSRP.

Anyway, itā€™s all horses for courses and a bit of a merry-go-round for most in this hobby, and DACs really are highly susceptible in efforts of ā€˜getting it rightā€™, whether due to the the brand or the design philosophy. At least it has been very recently for me.

2 Likes

So far the Chord Qutest sound quite different from the NDS. Need more listening to say anything else. Using NDS as transport.

There are lots of other good DAC options out there; I use one myself. But this is a Naim forum hosted by Naim and whilst I love my current setup and have posted to that effect, I feel it unreasonable and almost impolite to keep lavishing praise on a rival brand here. Some Chord users seem to feel less constrained in this respect than I do, which may partially account for the OPā€™s initial observations.

Roger

I tend towards the view that a dealer network was relevant 30 years ago but far less so now. The best are brilliant but there are other routes to nirvana and nowadays you can buy stuff like the Denafrips with little fear of a lack of support. Audiophiles can be very set in their ways but the world moves on and anxieties we had even a decade ago are inconsequential now.

Not sure about a brand that calls their DACs Terminator and Terminator Plus ā€” how bizarreā€¦ Puberty in the 1980s?? :roll_eyes:

Just like Dave was based on a character from 2001 :wink:

Iā€™m sorry Dave, I canā€™t do that?

3 Likes

The proof is in the listening.

Gee; I cannot understand the love for Chord Electronics on this forum. I foolishly bought a Qutest ( sp? ) DAC and promptly discovered that it offered no sonic improvement over the analog output on the NDX2. The wretched thing sits in its box upstairs collecting dust and unused for over a year. I have discovered a really fabulous off-board DAC that massively boosts the audio quality of an NDX2/SN3 system. Step forward McIntosh MCD85 and take your box. Yes it is ostensibly and SACD/CD player. But it has digital inputs also that allow access to its wonderful DAC and analog output stage.

1 Like

Hmmm maybe but I really cannot be bothered itā€™s still an old ladder Dac technology which is outdated and surpassed by chord pulse aray

When I worked in the trade, I was tought that decent hifi starts and stops with only what is made in the UK and anything else is just having a go with the British made big boys.

I held that view for 30+ years.

That view is, as Iā€™ve discovered, totally wrong. The UK doesnā€™t have a special place in the hifi market. It has a fairly equal place with many other great brands from other countries.

I can totally understand wanting to buy with your country for currency related cost performance and support reasons. But, British hifi for the sake of it? Iā€™ll pass.

2 Likes

Seriously? I tend to use my ears rather than go for what is new.

1 Like

Why donā€™t you sell it?

Well not just for the sake of it

I donā€™t think in my opinion any other company even Naim or Linn have built a custom Dac from the ground up as superbly engineered as chord

Not even DCS.

Chord is not new.

The Hugo 1 dates back from 2014

The first Dac 64 from 2001

I have 4 DACs none of which are Naim nor Chord. Tried the Mojo and wasnā€™t impressed left me cold. The rest of their lineup are so ugly I am just not interested in entertaining them. There are so many better value DACs out there that perform stunningly for modest prices and donā€™t look as Mike put it a VTech toy my kids used to play with. That said my RME is no catwalk model either but itā€™s at least not shouting out at me as I can turn the display off or enjoy the light snow. Itā€™s sounds amazing and cost me under Ā£700.

I agree this forum does seem blinkered to one or two brands for most things but itā€™s a nice place to visit and get advice and some interesting stories . I never buy into brand loyality. I buy what I like and feel gives me the best value for money and is reliable and sounds great to me Doesnā€™t bother me about a dealer not stocking a brand as I rarely go to mine as his range is limited to Naim, Chord, Linn and Arcam for electronics. Most online stores these days you can return any product your not happy with in 14 days which is long enough to make a decision for me.

Right now I am listening to my bedroom system of SMSL SU 9, and Schiit Headamp fed from a pi and Stereolab sounds fantastic.

3 Likes