Why separates? Revelation of a NAC282

Me too. But this one still strikes me as too far fetched to believe. But hey, I guess anything is possible in this hobby. :no_mouth:

I did make a shielded power cord for the NAPC with good connectors and Belden cable. Not to make it sound better but to minimise interference getting out of the cord. That did make sense to me. The Power-Line is unshielded so it wonā€™t help there either.

1 Like

When this was debated on here a few years ago I seem to recall that some of the more technically proficient contributors said that the NASPC also handles the relays, which affect the signal. I can tell you is what I and my dealer experienced. I think some other members heard a benefits too, but not all. If youā€™ve got access to a PL itā€™s an easy thing to try. When I did so it took all of about 10 seconds to notice the improvement.

1 Like

Similar to the claims that the NAPSC is electrically noisy and should be far away.

A toroid is only noisy if the core is saturated due to problems with your mains. If that happens, the other power supplies are a far bigger problem.

Iā€™ve put my EM meter close to the NAPSC and electrical radiation is basically zero reading and magnetic radiation a tiny fraction of a HiCap.

The green LED on a 282 emits more electrical radiation than the NAPSC.

2 Likes

As you asked, well 10 minutes into the XPS DR (pre-loved), and its brilliant. Iā€™m not best at describing improvements, and often I canā€™t hear them, but if I scored 10 for the NAC102-82 upgrade, then Iā€™d say this is a good 8. I was fairly worried about the Burndy cable, as it is resting on a number of things. I may get more out of it if I spend the time, but I have to dismantle all my Naim ready for the dedicated radial at the weekend, so can spend more time then

2 Likes

My 282 arrived today, it is indeed a revelation! Already ahead of the Supernait 3 after a few hours. I am sure it will extend its lead in the weeks to come.

6 Likes

Oddly, Iā€™ve never felt mine was stunning, but was ny NAC 72 just sublime in the first place?

1 Like

One little issue is that there are so many permutations.

The 300DR is stunning, I have active SBLs driven by a pair of Olive NAP 250s.

I tried a 300DR in passive mode some time ago and it was brilliant in every way - cohesive low volume listening was amazing.

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll thoroughly enjoy it.

Itā€™s over 20 years since I had my own 72 HiCap which I loved (my first Naim), but the 282 HiCapDR is a big step forward as far as I remember.

1 Like

Some parallels with my own re entry to Naim. My first was a Nait 5, which I didnā€™t get on with and I thought sounded unnatural but Instead of Naim slimline separates I went for Regaā€™s equivalent, I had a bit of a downer Naim at this point. A few years later my CD player search ended with a CD5x beating a Rega Saturn when played through my Rega Cursa/Maia combination. A flatcap 2x followed and I decided to reassess Naim amps. A supernait (1) was within reach, as was the 202/200 so a demonstration was arranged between these two using a CD5x as source, a hicap was on hand too. The supernait reminded me of the Nait5 only more powerful but with the same ā€œprocessedā€ sound. Substituting the 202/200 was like a background noise you hadnā€™t noticed suddenly stopping, now this was more like it. The preamp section of the supernait seemed to be the issue, a hicap didnā€™t change it, nor did running the supernait pre section into the 200. I took the 202/200 home with a PSC to keep them happy, whereupon my wife suggested they werenā€™t enough of an upgrade over the Regas. They went back and a 282/hicap/250 set were then bungeed on the back of my Moto Guzzi (it can be done, though itā€™s quite a pile, I only had 2 miles to go) to come home with me for a week. These won approval but I could only afford one a year, more or less, starting with the 282 which ran off the flatcap 2x into the Rega Maia initially. I did find the hicap, which was supposed to be next quite hard to buy. The first time I tried I walked out with an exdemo superline, the next it was a lightly used Aro before finally getting the hicap but powersupplies are boring right? Well compared to Naimā€™s super phonostage and legendary tonearm they are.

3 Likes

I have used Powerline, Standard Lead and a Titan Audio lead. The Powerline and Titan make more of a difference on the NAPSC than the Powerline and Titan on the 250 or HicapDR vs the standard lead. Why? I have no idea

2 Likes

When I was considering ā€œrefreshingā€ the 122/150/fc2x, I decided to listen to Mc Intosh to see if my issue was that I just did not gel well with the Naim sound. Mc Intosh brings on lots of nostalgia to me as my late grandfather used to own a big system that I listened to as a teenager and at the time thought it was the best sounding thing ever.

The Dealer set up a nice Mc Intosh demostration with some expensive integrated amp matched to an expensive Mc Intosh speaker. Although I could not fault anything with the sound, it just did not pull me in the way my ā€œimperfectā€ 122/150 did. That is when I decided to stick to naim and go higher up the ladder and I am VERY glad that I did :smiley:

4 Likes

A week in with the 282 and here are the updates.

In terms of ā€œburn inā€ I canā€™t say a lot has changed as it was sounding very nice from the start. Maybe the top end opened up a little. Do we perceive burn in when the initial experience is less than perfect and donā€™t perceive it as much when the initial impression is pleasant? Food for thought.

So comparing it to the flatcapped 122x, I can say that everything has more body. Vocals are fuller and less recessed. Poorly recorded tracks are actually more listenable than with the 122x which took me by surprise. I had assumed that the higher up the ladder I would go the more revealing the system would be of poor recordings ( 80s pop/rock for instance), but the exact opposite happened.

Previously, non audiophile grade music sounded good during the intro and quiet segments and once the chorus and drums kicked in it would become difficult to listen to if the recording was not excellent. With the 282 the music sounds great during intros and then blossoms with the chorus coming on. I am finding myself listening to songs all the way to the end.

Any downsides? Believe it or not there is. The change feels like 10 steps forward but one step back. That step back is Iā€™ve lost a bit of center weight to vocals. with the 122x I would feel that there was a person of bone and flesh physically occupying space between the speakers with their chest resonating as they sang. I have lost this now.

That physical presence was only present with beautiful recordings like Norah Jones, Diana Krall and the likes but now has been lost. Speakers havenā€™t moved at all so I donā€™t believe it is a setup issue. I am assuming that this MIGHT be because I took out the external power supply of the faltcap 2x and am now relying on the PS from the 150x? Maybe. When the Hi Cap DR comes in a two week I will find out.

In summary this is the biggest performance jump my system has experienced and in all honesty, had I not ordered all the other black boxes I could have stopped here. Thank you Naim from the bottom of my heart for such an amazing product and for bringing back the joy of musicā€¦

6 Likes

Strap yourself to your seat when the HiDR arrives. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

It is possible to use half the flatcap 2x to power the 282, it sounds fast but a bit diffuse and compared to using a hicap lacks a bit of body. Itā€™s even possible to use both sides of the 2x, which focusses the sound more but shrinks the scale, it brought to mind Spinal Tapā€™s Stonehenge, I preferred just using one side. As I said above I didnā€™t have a Naim power amp to power the 282 so couldnā€™t compare it to using the from one.

Did you trade the FC2x when buying the 282? If not you can try it either on upgrade 1 or upgrade 1 and 2 (assuming you have the snaics to do so) - you may prefer this to powering it from the 150x. Either way the HC DR will be a step up when it arrives.

the flatcap 2x is still here. Did not see the FC as a connection suggestion in the manual supplied with the 282 so I assumed it was not compatible. I am travelling out of town for a week and the HC-DR should be here by then so hardly worth the effort but thatnk you for the sugegstion

I found that adding a PowerLine on a NAPSC to complete a full set of PowerLines on the entire system (a 282/HCDR/250DR/NDX/nDAC/555PS combo) was the icing on the cake. The individual PowerLines are good, but a full set on all components seem greater than their sum. The standard Naim power cables are certainly no slouch, but the PowerLines just sound better to me. I do not pretend to understand why, but that is my impression with that system and my speakers in that particular room.

1 Like

Nice system. Thanks for the candid observations.
In my personal experiences, every time I have changed or swapped out any piece of electronic equipment in my system, I have almost always had to adjust the position of my speakers to extract the best overall sound from the source/amplification upgrade.

2 Likes

Quite logical I guess. As the system makes more/less bass one may have to do small adjustments to speakers. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Youā€™ve explained the effect of the 282 very well. Iā€™d echo what David has said but wait until your Hicap is installed. Iā€™m not sure why it happens but small adjustments to speaker position can make a big difference.

1 Like