Why Spend More On Hifi When Some Music Is Poorly Recorded?

Actually… some Jazz masters and their recordings were done in mono… thin, not the best sounding - but still fantastic music.

Just plonk it on, and enjoy the music for what it is. I’d rather be able to play music on a 500 based system, or a Nait chrome bumper system as a lifestyle choice, because I can, and I know what a Naim system can do for music, than not.

3 Likes

Gold.

Well yes, some recordings or rather some media representations of it can be poor but as you say mostly it is rare. So, I am happy to focus on the very good music I can listen to on my HiFi.

When I say media representations I am mostly thinking of LPs, for instance, I have a couple of copies of the Steely Dan Aja LP. One is pretty rubbish or at best mediocre (an MCA 1988 reissue) sounding like you are listening through a wet flannel and an ABC records original pressing (1977) which just sings that is a super representation of the original recording.

2 Likes

I also find that much of the Beatles recordings are thin - in that they don’t have as much bass as you might expect. But perhaps my expectations are wrong.
I am surprised at the quality of some of the Shadows’ recordings in that regard.

1 Like

I love music. I loved it on a small transistor radio as a child; on a cheap car stereo; a dansette; an Amstrad tower and eventually hi-fi separates.

If your system, for you, exposes the weaknesses in the recordings of great music to the extent you query the musical side of things then likely you have lost sight of the goal of loving music and focused on hi-fi goals such as soundstage, resolution, “accuracy” etc. Those are all well and good but all of us have a point at which those attributes make us enjoy great music less. That wouldn’t necessarily prevent me upgrading. It might make me think of downgrading.

4 Likes

More gold!

Thank you Mike.

So far, my olive Naim system then played anything and everything, and it was just joy in general.
I don’t remember having stopped listening to thin, or badly pressed mono recordings because the music was just wonderful for what it was.

As Mike shared… whatever the music, as long as we love the tune and lyric, it really doesn’t direly matter the recording, ironically.

It’s true though, our expectations are often tampered the higher we go in hi fi.

Hey Nigel, just imagine what your future Statement will do for your “love of music”.

1 Like

I think there are two issues; poor recording and poor mixing. A poor recording of good music will still be good music on any system. It’s not surprising though, if music mixed for reproduction through EarPods, to be stored in a compressed format and played from a portable device, sounds less than stellar in its full fat form on a resolving system.

1 Like

I agree that the original versions of Beatles records and initial CD versions were pretty thin. On the other hand, I found recent remastered CD’s and vinyl versions to have a MUCH fuller bass component to them. It has been a delight to revisit their entire catalog.

2 Likes

I will give that a go - thanks
Steve

When browsing I often note who the producer is and that can decide if it is a sale/no sale regardless of the artist themselves. My experience is that as my hifi has improved my tastes have broadened and with every improvement I find that, say, 75% of my existing music sounds better but 25% is a bit of a disappointment

2 Likes

I feel speakers might play a role. In my experience, Some speakers seem to favour certain genres of music and some seem to enhance the sh1tness of certain recordings greater. Since upgrading to my current speakers that use the Seas Excel coated paper drivers (same as those used in the kudos Titan speakers) they seem to not favour any genre and are more tolerant of poor recordings. I know I don’t have a 500 system but still feel I know what you are talking about. It would be interesting to hear of any kudos Titan users have experienced similar or not.

1 Like

I have to say that I don’t find this to be my experience Nigel. 500 series can’t make a silk purse every time, but in a well balanced system it should make even a poor recording sound better than you’ve heard it before and definitely not unbearable. I wonder if either the 500 isn’t done improving yet or (much as I thought it shouldn’t be the case) if the speaker/amp imbalance is now becoming an issue? It really shouldn’t be the case that anything sounds unpleasant.

I wouldn’t say anything sounds unpleasant, just very occasionally disappointing, and it could be that I am unfairly directly comparing these to the better sounding albums.

Yes, it is possible my 500DR and new SuperLumina DIN/XLRs and speaker cables haven’t finished running in yet.

Every album I play has taken a step forward in enjoyment but I just wonder if I am now bumping up against the limitations less than optimal recording/mixing places on reproduction in the home. By the same token I am pretty sure the best recordings have more to give, should I decide to upgrade further in the future.

Just the possibility of limitations in music material bringing diminishing returns is in the back of my mind.

1 Like

Maybe the Superlumina should be removed for a while, and see what happens without them in the mix.

Don’t think I will hear much……

BTW the new SL cables just replace my previous SL cables i.e. mono DIN/XLRs replace stereo set and longer speaker cables.

Nigel, at least 6 months of regular play at all sorts of volumes, before any conclusions to their actual sonics from more serious auditions. Naim cables are notorious for sounding a little “cold”, mechanical, thin, bright and clinical in the beginning. There were days I thought things were really off… and then the sound would suddenly bloom and then go cold again for a time.

Really gotta be patient.

The Naca 5s in particular were temperamental through their run in period - but I was glad I stuck with them as they really came onto full song past 6 months, even up to a year when things seemed to just “flow”.

I have found lifting the Naca 5s off the floor and unwinding them [not even fastened 8s…] completely so they ran in larger free loops - an eye sore perhaps but such is life - really got the sound to breathe so much better. The culprits for the “harshness” I found to be the power cables which have to be kept well away from the speaker cables on the floor as much as possible with no physical interactions. Same with Snaics and Burndies. It was a bloody pain for me but all the little bits in cable dressing worked cumulatively in total charm once it was sorted. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if this were the case for the SL.

Wish you enhanced enjoyment!

The system has been playing music 24/7, with the volume up at night, in addition to daily listening sessions, for several weeks now.

I have run in Naim cables in the past, both SL and non-SL, so I am aware of the run in rollercoaster. I do think that 6 months is a bit much though.

Me too, but it was how it sounded to me in my system at that time…

A few weeks isn’t enough. Patience pays.