Why Spend More On Hifi When Some Music Is Poorly Recorded?

Lol :joy: good one!

Pet Shop Boysā€™ ā€œAll Day, All Day, Domino Dancingā€ has suddenly just sprung to mindā€¦. :relaxed::sweat_smile::musical_score::musical_score::musical_score: (I could never get a good recording of ā€œWest End Girlsā€ā€¦ā€¦ one of my favourites from them from that era and which still sounded sublime on my Naims then despite the thrashy thin recording. Infectious tunesā€¦

(I must hasten to clarify I am not yet oldā€¦ā€¦ more mature yes, but hardly old) :grimacing::sweat_smile:

Cheers

Phil P

naimniac for life

2 Likes

One of my favourite artists of that era.

Funnily enough many albums and special addition 12ā€ singles I have on vinyl. Played them on my dads Toshiba music center.

Domino Dancing on full whack still does it for me!

I still have all my vinyl from that time. Itā€™s not going anywhere!

1 Like

Gold.

Naim are masters of PRT but itā€™s the way in which they voice music when reaching out and grabbing me emotionally where they really just shine and obliterate the competition till present day after 30 years for me - like a favourite ice cream on a hot day.

They are still head and shoulders above almost over everything else out there. Music making at its holistic best.

Cheers

Phil P

:sunglasses::metal:t3::fist_right:t3::+1:t3::muscle:t3:

I always liked the early Stones best - the recordings may not be wonderful, but the music was pretty good.

1 Like

Too many poor digital remasters on vinyl that sound like mp3s but cost a fortune.

4 Likes

The curry did it Jim :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Lol

Cocteau Twins catalogue should be worthy of consideration.
They have material spanning from near unlistenable to absolute perfection.

1 Like

That happens from time to time, but I canā€™t recall a single instance where a poor recording was less engaging than before. For me, the overall net effect is unquestionably positive.

1 Like

The quotation that this thread brings to mind is from Alan Parsons:

ā€œAudiophiles donā€™t use their equipment to listen to music. Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment."

4 Likes

Do tell!

It wasnā€™t a remaster, just the plainest version of that album I could find.

I think I fall into the Derek Smalls category: ā€œthe luke warm water in the middleā€ type of chap.

I am not a ā€œgolden earā€ yet know when something sounds right to me. What frustrates me is that modern recording technology, correctly applied, should (could) produce results superior to those, say, of 50 years ago. I sometimes think producers or artists may be too keen to show off their appreciation of a musical heritage, their ā€œeclecticismā€ or that in addition to putting the kitchen sink into the production they add the dishwasher and the fridge-freezer as well.

Given the level your system is at now, Nigel, I do wonder if a change of speakers may be beneficial.

I am keeping things under my hat at the moment, but have listened to some speakers at my dealers which have tempted me to purchase them without home dem (which they have offered to do, I may add), as I believe that they would be a significant improvement on what I currently have.

2 Likes

Naim to me works best on recordings of acoustic instruments in actual rooms/halls.

For compressed music/pop music it doesnā€™t matter so much what you play it on.

2 Likes

After many years of regular upgrading Iā€™m of the opinion that there are 2 types of upgradeā€¦ā€¦cosmetic and fundamental. Cosmetic upgrades are quite thrilling and easy to hear, but within a few weeks the ears have assimilated to the changes and the level of enjoyment remains roughly unchanged. Cosmetic upgrades are associated with the hi-fi systemā€™s presentation and the best adjectives to describe them are the typical hi-fi descriptions like imaging, sound stage, frequency extremes, detail, etc. Fundamental upgrades are just as easy to hear but a lot more difficult to describe and their effects last for years. Fundamental upgrades have more to do with the listenerā€™s reaction to the music and and the best adjectives to describe them are associated with how the music makes you feel.
Cosmetic upgrades typically enhance the best recordings far more than they enhance the worst, in fact they can make the worst recording sound dull, bland and lifeless, given that they are missing many of the prized hi-fi superlatives. Fundamental upgrades on the other hand tend to uplift some of your poorer recordings, revealing the soul and spirit of the music, allowing you to feel greater emotional connection with the musicians and their music. With fundamental upgrades you find yourself thoroughly enjoying recordings and tracks that previously didnā€™t really float your boatā€¦.tracks that you may have skipped over in order to get to the more impressive recordings start to reveal hidden charms that you suddenly find intoxicating and moving, reactions that were simply absent before the upgrade.

12 Likes

It wasnā€™t a remaster, just the plainest version of that album I could find.
[/quote]

I have CDā€™s and vinyl and the vinyl has so much more life to it. Zep II was a relatives from 1969/70 and is stunning.

Fact it includes clicks and pops but still sounds fabulous is another vote that its worth running Naim amps for any recording (just to get back on topicā€¦)

clicks and pops arenā€™t poor recording.

JimDogā€¦ ā€œalmostā€ because it would be downright rude and untrue that Naim are the ā€œbe all and end allā€. They are not and will never be. Same for all the other marques. There are other makes that offer sonic nirvana for their respective audience.

For me, after a long 20 year hiatus from hi fi, and having heard some of what is available at present, itā€™s quickly dawned on me with some surprise, still the same old same old here ā€¦ more or less - Naim are still very much at the helm, in offering me my kinda sound for my money.

But thereā€™s something for everyone, based on how our ears which are unique to each of us, perceives music. Diversity is key in life, to be respected. Whether we mix and match with other marques, or follow a full Naim system synergy to a fault, whatever we decide for our own homes is so very personal. There is never any right or wrong, just preferences and choices. Whatā€™s great for you doesnā€™t appeal to me, and whatā€™s great for me doesnā€™t do it for you.

Just enjoy the journey in discovery for what it is and be at peace within.

Hi fi is supposed to make us feel happy, listening to our music. Itā€™s not meant to be divisive. Respect your own ears, trust what they convey and just go with your own flow regardless of what others say. I do however take well-meaning feedback thatā€™s relevant, into careful consideration if I choose.

I recently read an adage which shared that there are no mistakes in life, only lessons. How true. Just as applicable to our hobby here.

To our beloved Naims and systems, and more listening

Phil P

naimniac for life

1 Like

Love gold when I chance it. Thank you Blackmorec. Never saw it that way.

Cheers

Phil P

1 Like