Wi-Fi Booster/Extender for domestic use

Try a different channel first

Hi Rob,

Iā€™m not that up to date with computers, and the internet/WiFi is particularly unclear to me !

How do I ā€œtry a different channelā€

Sounds like a good idea, but iā€™m unclear what to do.

Your router manual will detail how to do this
Use WiFi Analyzer app to look for any channel interference

@Don Iā€™d be inclined to start in this sort of area too. I nearly didnā€™t sign up for Qobuz as hi-res kept glitching very badly whilst CD quality Tidal was fine. A switch of channel sorted it. Periodically, music just stops. Sure enough, the router has decided to switch channel.

Iā€™d also see if you can try another router. Itā€™s a hardware issue you can then rule out. Mesh and other suggestions are all well snd good but if your router is broken then mesh wonā€™t sort that.

After trying another router Iā€™d maybe dig deeper into your new devices. Are they making demands on your network at specific moments which interrupt days flow?

Thank you Mike. The router is already No 2. So Iā€™m inclined towards your advice to delve deeper into the new laptop/operating system first. Then possibly consider a MESH or booster etc.

Don

When I had an unreliable connection a year ago, I used the Speedtest app to give metrics on how bad the connection was. There are others that are similar I believe.

It wonā€™t fix the problem but it will give a much clearer idea of where and when things are going wrong and how badly and also if any changes make an improvement. Useful if you are troubleshooting.

The ā€œfreebieā€ routers from ISPs are pretty basic, even if new. I turned down the offer of a replacement and went with a third party router from Linksys. Sorted within minutes, even though I am not that great with technology. It is dual band (I think thatā€™s the expression), a 5 GHz fast connection and a longer range but perfectly acceptable standard connection which it switches to if needed.

I had a number of extenders through power lines etc. and just could not get good coverage. Did some research and decided on putting a MESH system in place across 4 bed three level stone house. Left my supplied (virgin media) router on modem mode and the Mesh takes care of wide and very high speed coverage, never looked back. I went with Eero from Amazon but there are plenty of others good brands available. Good luck with finding what works for you.

1 Like

My windows 10 pc has been updating various wifi drivers (intel) over the last couple of days, Iā€™d check yours are up to date as well. I also made the switch to a mesh system (deco x60) last year after messing about with repeaters and second routers and not regretted it for a moment. Can watch videos at the bottom of the garden now if I want.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.