Wifi booster/extender

You can for setup… but in use these Ethernet ports are for connecting the backhaul into a switch.
A few of the devices have two ports, where one is a bridge port… I see no reason why the bridge port could not be connected to a PC, but in such cases the backhaul port may need to be connected to a switch… I have not tried that.
You can also configure as wifi uplink to a node… but I don’t know if the Ethernet port would be enabled for traffic in such cases, again I have not tried that.
One of the other main uses of the Ethernet port is for power.

Thanks, Simon. I’ve checked the TP-Link website which does confirm my question:

Q8: Can I connect my device to Deco?

A: Deco supports both wired and wireless connections.

For wireless devices, you only need to find Deco’s Wi-Fi name on the client and connect with the Wi-Fi password.

You can also connect a device to the Deco network via an Ethernet cable, including PC, printers, TVs, etc. Each Deco provides two Ethernet ports on the back for wired devices. You can also connect a switch to the Ethernet port to expand the wired connections.

Just tried it and you can use the ports on the slave Decos for local Ethernet connections. The Master has one port to a Virgin Superhub2, the other goes to my 2960 for the ‘audio’ network.

Thanks, I was thinking of the Unifi products, I don’t know if they work the same way.
More generally it is usually not recommended to use wifi this way unless it is configured only as point to point or ‘Adhoc’ mode of configuration unless it’s only for one or two clients
Adhoc mode wifi works slightly differently under the covers and is optimised for point to point mode or network link mode of operation… you would typically use to connect outhouses, buildings together, or even computer to computer, or create a group of point to points participating together

I suggest Amazon…

You essentially can simply start one or two Unifi access point or mesh points…

I recommend the Unifi AC- Lite devices

or for mesh their Unifi AC Mesh product… you can mix and match.

Thank you

So it looks like you would say, As per below go from your ISP Wireless router (wired) to a GB switch and from there wired to all Wireless access points.
Turn off Wi-Fi on the ISP Router and let UniFi manage the wireless

Yes… obviously that chart is Unifi product oriented, so you can use any switch or router.
The access points can also be set for wireless link from another access point, so you could say, think of a triangle. Wired to switch access points in the bottom left and right of triangle, and wireless linked access point at the apex… best to keep more wired that wireless.

OK ideal scenario wired to all AP’s and then let them “Mesh” the WiFi for all Wi-Fi devices… Or Wire to one AP and if more Wire not possible Wireless AP to the other AP’s…

Thanks for the help as ever

Other than for best performance aim to have more wired

Wired Wireless
1 0
1 1
2 0
2 1
2 2
3 0
3 1
3 2

Etc
Try and keep the wireless device in range of two or more wired devices

Hopefully you get the picture…

It will work without this, but as with all mesh systems performance can be hit.

You should expect a bit of setup time and follow instructions with Unifi… I found it straightforward, but reading some other posts some have found a little frustrating…

To simplify a Unifi install especially with multiple APs consider the Ubiquiti cloud controller cost around £60.

Another interesting product from Ubiquiti is their new Dream Machine, built in switch, AP, Cloud Key and USG firewall I installed one at my home a few months back and I use an additional AC Lite in another room to increase coverage.

Such a beautiful device it’s a shame it’s in the loft but gives great WiFi coverage from there, pic below

I installed a pair of Ubiquiti AP-AC Lite recently. Try Netxl as a supplier. These work perfectly indoors but I don’t know what it is about our house construction they just don’t send a signal outside, or barely. I believe they are installed optimally within the house. I’m considering adding an outside one possibly mounted on the tv aerial pole but that’s really a luxury solution.

@Simon-in-Suffolk

Simon, I hope you don’t mind me leaping in and asking a numpty question. I like the sound of the BT whole home system, I am very much a plug and play enthusiast, little technical knowledge.

At the moment I have a sky Q system, 2 sky Q mini boxes around the house that both stream TV well from the main sky Q box, through I believe an existing sky mesh WiFi (I think that’s how it works?).

But the general WiFi is not great so I am thinking of the BT product as a solution. If I buy and install it, is it going to bugger up the mesh WiFi connection between my sky boxes? Or do the 2 work in parallel quite happily?

I guess at the same time, once the BT new WiFi network is up and running, I would need to switch off the old sky WiFi signal from my sky router too? Sorry Simon to bother you, but in reading your posts I know you know lots about this stuff!

I don’t know for sure, but best to assume one or the other… ie use the BT whole home or the sky one.

1 Like

I do in deed thank you. Wired of course make sense. Dedicated, guaranteed, fastest, but also not always possible

2 Likes

Have you asked Sky, or BT ? from my experiance, when you get the right people, they can be helpful. As mentioned stay with one or the other, or you could get into a support mess “well our system works”

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback…I currently have similar issues, but fixed (ish) by better Wi-Fi point location…

Thanks to all the positive mention here I gave the TP-Link Deco M5 a punt and couldn’t be happier. I’m using two. They solved my terrible signal downstairs from the upstairs Airport Extreme. The Airport now has a new home. I get a decent signal out in the yard too.

1 Like