Wifi strength

The problem is my WiFi. If my wife is on pc, my Naim app crashes or freezes.

your Naim app on iOS?
If its freezing - it points to a possible compatibility problem between your wifi access point and your iOS device… perhaps there was a firmware update recently and this started to happen. The same could also apply to Android - and that does seem more prone to interoperability issues.

You could try a separate wifi access point separate from your broadband router - to see if that works better.

However first do check that everything on your home network - including your wife’s PC is using DHCP to register and obtain its network address details

About the same here, Sky superfast and they don’t seem to throttle too much. My ping is higher though.

This implies the local WiFi channel you use in your house is insufficient, perhaps due to being over-used by other users nearby - one possible problem with WiFi is that it is a shared system that negotiates and shares available bandwidth. If you are isolated that is fine - if not you need to ensure all neighbors within range have a different channel to the one you use if they use a lot of bandwidth.
With more and more people using WiFi for more and more bandwidth it may not improve the situation in some places.

Why for critical local infrastructure (in my house) supporting my Naim HiFi I use Wired Ethernet. :slightly_smiling_face: :bear:

Not as flexible but always definitely yours and nobody else sharing your network bandwidth in your house from outside.

At least when the WiFi is misbehaving and you don’t want stress to play your music - just plug via adapter your iPad into wired Ethernet (what I do all the time) and that will definitely always work.

Then you can later resolve the WiFi problem - and have a working fall-back to wired Ethernet.

DB.

1 Like

Perhaps my provider can change my WiFi channel or something like that ? I use my iPad very often but don’t like the possibility of wired iPad. Or with second iPad

Its not a channel you need to change, its the ISP (provider) you need to change, but first talk to them.

11.4/0.89 is a poor performance these days, it maybe that you are in an area that has slow internet, but maybe there is something better; have a look on your web search for all the ISP’s & see how they compare in your local

Can’t change my provider. The only one in my area. Only ADSL also possible.
My provider said he can put me on a less charged traffic…?

Not sure I missed this - is your house connected by WiFi or Wired, with the WiFi network a local thing inside your house?

WiFi from Service Provider to your house - you cannot adjust channels but must take it as provided.

If it is your own in-house WiFi then you can adjust it and your provider usually cannot.

You log-in to the WiFi router by its Admin interface and set it there - usually.

DB.

What can I adjust? I changed recently the router of my provider, more recent than the last I had for 10 years.
Tv is better working, I have less need to restart and it’s quicker. But WiFi seems slower.
It’s the same provider.

1 Like

As I previously stated - it is nothing to do with your Provider if it is your own in-house Router spawning the WiFi - it is there (at the in-house Router box) that the WiFi channel is set.

From you descriptions so far it seems that is the issue - may not be but at least where I would begin to explore.

Is that using WiFi too?

DB.

What hardware are you using for your wireless network? Is it built into the router that you use for internet access? It may be that you need a better one, or just a better location for the one you have now. Or you could look at an extender to give better coverage of your whole home.

No , tv is wired. Only WiFi for pc and iPad. So I have to log in the admin interface of my router to adjust the WiFi ?

Our home is 45 m2. So little. All is in the same living room.

Yes.

TV being wired and working fine means there is nothing wrong from your Provider and it is a local setting on the WiFi Router. I tweaked a friends Router a few years ago to resolve the same problem. First I checked all the WiFi channels in use - then chose a clear one for her - then all worked! :slightly_smiling_face:

DB.

1 Like

As suggested previously, DL a free wireless network analyser & walk around your house to check the wifi signal strength around your property. You can also see which channel your wifi is operating on & if it’s congested then you can choose a different channel from your router interface if that feature is available… ‘Net analyzer’ is a free app which I use.

1 Like

Ok, i will try that DB. Very thanks.

I use inSSIDer on Windows

My dual band SSID is pongo3, and you can see that the 2.4GHz space is very congested, but the 5GHz is clearer, so on my WiFi I use Bandsteering to throw any Wireless client capable of using the 5GHz service to it.

So of the 9 or so, WiFi clients currently connected
5 on 5GHz and 4 on the 2.4GHz

1 Like

Not sure I will be able to do that. Will try.

Even without seeing what others are using you can just try other WiFi available channels until you find one that works better.

DB.

1 Like

There is a updated Free version of inSSIDer available (the images above were from a paid up version 4)

But very easy to see what is on each channel, and what is the utilization.

1 Like