WiiM Mini Pro Coming Soon

272 has 3 TosLink inputs you should be fine

Thanks, I guess the ones that look like photo inputs are actually toslink then!

phono not photo!

I got the WiiM Pro and it’s fantastic, I have it hooked up via Coax to the 272. It is a super and inexpensive way to get the capability to use newer streaming services and connection methods on the 272. 192/24 max res. The sound quality is fantastic because it is using the 272 DAC. The Analog out on these is not going to be great.

4 Likes

Where’d you buy it? Can’t see it anywhere. And did you use anything special Coax-wise? Thanks, I have a 272 also.

I bought mine on Amazon, but looks like they are out of stock now. I am just using a standard RCA cable for the coax connection - I had an old Linn silver cable that I used. Sounds terrific.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this, I was thinking of getting a USB to S/PDIF converter and connecting my Innuos Zen via Coax to my 272, using the Innuos as a streamer and using the DAC on the 272. It will be a lot cheaper than upgrading to whatever new products arrive.

It will be much cheaper and I remain totally unconvinced that spending more for the actual digital streamer makes much if any difference in sound quality. The DAC in my listening makes by far the largest difference. The 272 has a good dac, the built in dac on the WIiM is no better than mediocre. You do want to use it with an external DAC.

2 Likes

I have compared, the streamer board in the 272 does not seem any better. I will certainly check out the 272 replacement. There is not a lot of value add that can be done pulling a stream off the internet and sending out the bits to a decent DAC… I guess I should add that I am open minded and definitely want to do a home demo of the NAC-N 272 replacement when it comes out. I just don’t find the streaming board to be a value add. The 272 streaming board was not even designed or made by NAIM, it is a German company who makes these for embedded systems whose name escapes me. My understanding is the new platform, that is not the case and is significantly more flexible and powerful. Still not convinced that part of the chain adds much sonically…

and your supporting evidence is???

1 Like

:popcorn:

2 Likes

I have been proven wrong? Where is any evidence at all or even a reasonable argument. The streamer is just producing a clocked data stream from whatever service you are streaming from be it tidal/Spotify etc. There is much more evidence and reason that would say that there is really nothing that can be added or subtracted unless it actually is corrupting the data it receives from whatever cloud server it is getting it from. These devices are merely front ends connecting to some server in the cloud and sending out the digital output without transformation for a DAC to decode and convert to an analog signal. So I am awaiting this proof that you allegedly have because I have read up on the subject and understand very well what is happening under the hood with these devices. It pushes the bounds of reason that 2 devices if they are outputting the same error free stream to the same DAC would sound any different. Bits are bits.

3 Likes

Hi, I do use the Zen for UPNP playback and I’m very happy with the sound quality, but I’m thinking of going down the Qobuz route and I can use that via the Zen but it can only be done with a DAC attached, which is why my interest in connecting to the DAC via S/PDIF.

The Zen also has 4 Gb of RAM dedicated to playback, theoretically it should sound better as it loads the album into the RAM and plays from there, the hard drive shouldn’t be spinning (I think) and there should be less noise. I’m also toying with the idea of going down the separate preamp and DAC route and using the Zen as the streamer. The imminent release of new products from Naim has me thinking more laterally.

I’ve also done some reading on the Mutec MC-3 + USB which has a reclocker. Gets some positive reviews, just have to find someone close to do a demo.

If this is so clear cut why can’t you back up your argument with anything other than ad hominem comments?

So in other words you have absolutely nothing to support your argument… Even articles in the Absolute Sound concede that a well designed streamer has no audible impact on sound. For Instance Steven Stone wrote this in an article about the Zen which was mentioned earlier:

“This might be the ideal time to pose the question, “Do streamers have a sound?” They are basically file movers. They move digital data, which in this case happens to be music, from point A to point B. Music files enter via Ethernet or Wi-Fi and are sent to a DAC. Ideally nothing should alter their contents or error-rate. Whether there are functions or factors within the network signal chain that can or do alter the final results appears to be a subject that inspires passionate and polarized debate. My position is pragmatic. A simple, well-designed, robust streaming-signal chain should not have an audible effect on the sound of a music file.”

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.