Will go vinyl again - advice on updates

LOL - means that i listened fine with the wrong one (K) for years… LOL
Yes - I love the internet :slight_smile:

I don’t think anyone has answered this? The LP12, like a number of other TTs, has a flat board that attaches to the floating sub-chassis: it is the flat surface above whiche the arm sits when at rest, and onto which tha arm is mounted. Board can be supplied cut to fit the mounting requirements for different arms. Without seeing the listing, I guess the arm comes fixed to an armboard from an LP12. It will be easy to detach.

As for Brinkmann, thay make arms and cartridges: any possibility it is a cartridge? If not, some arm accessory perhaps…

Thanks a lot - Brinkmann happens to be an error from auto translation…
AND many thanks for the armboard explanation - I assumed that.
For now I will work with my TP90SF arm with special wheight fitted. Aro is next move :slight_smile:

Now looking for the P3PS to be implemented :slight_smile:

Hi
I think that this is a very special question. But I will give it a try.

Does anyone know what cable is needed for connection a phonosophie no 3 turntable with naims p3ps. Like the Armageddon the p3ps is a special power supply build for the phonosophie p3 in the early 90s.
From Kuma pictures in www I found the p3ps to have an xlr socket. On turntable side is a din 4 socket. The cable must be similar to the one from e.g. hiCap to 250. but here it is signal only as I understand. Think I was some kind of special snaic?
Does anyone have any information?

It is very appreciated. Thanks.

I presume you have googled? There seems to be a lot of info out there on that TT.

I have one (p3) here, but without the Naim p3ps … I have googled the net empty. No picture of info on the cable.

Hi Richard

Yes it seems a real lost opportunity for naim not to have another look at arms. The Aro is still much revered (and sits pride of place on my record player!). My pulse quickened slightly (so to speak) when the Javelin arm was mentioned and a certain dealer in the Leicester area was extremely positive about that product. The chap behind it has now vanished from the audio business and the Javelin has gone with him. Hence, I would suggest there is a really strong potential to revisit the aro, perhaps take on board where improvements could be engineered (Javelin hint); and launch a new arm to the market. I suspect that there could be (I’m not sure - market research required) a market for existing aro owners and many others (perhaps including phonosophie p3 owners!) who might like to try a uni-pivot arm but are put off by the potential risk of buying an old aro with potential wiring or other issues, age related. Please take this as encouragement to give the chaps another nudge!

Peter

2 Likes

Hi
I now have bought a prefix s from a nice and friendly uk dealer. It is has s/n 108… and is in perfect condition. It has a black snaic fitted and was serviced at Naim in 2018.
Does anyone know, if service means that an RF update had been done if outstanding? Is this checkup or update included in general?
Is there any chance for me to see, if the update is done or is bringing it to my Naim service the only way to find out?
Thanks

If it was serviced by Naim in 2018 then AFAIK the RF mod is done as a matter of course. @NeilS could probably confirm.

1 Like

Thank you very much. Maybe Neil will give an answer here - thanks in advance.

It would be nice. However, even if Naim could be bothered, I’d have to assume that the retail price of a new ARO would be a minimum of Ekos SE money and very possibly a fair bit more than that. How many hungry buyers might there be at that kind of cost?

Hi Richard,

That is correct, the mod would have been done if any work was carried out at HQ. You can tell at a glance, as the earth lead exits the case through the same grommet as the Snaic cable. Prior to the update, the earth lead is connected externally directly to the arm board plug.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

I’ll take one, even if it is on a pre-order basis even if I have to wait a year to be one of the first to get one …sign me up!

The number of people taking their LP12’s in for Radikal, Urika, Kandid, upgrades during this pandemic has been staggering. Peter is swamped at cymbiosis, if there were 2 of him there still wouldn’t be enough time in a day.
All that being said, folks here on the this forum, and other forums I visit, along with people I have recently met online while selling my kit on, as I have recently upgraded myself, are looking for an Aro. I would buy a second arm just for a back up. Maybe they are few and far between in the states only.
I found a dealer in the states that has 2 Aro’s on turntables in his shop that are spares, said he was going to sell one off to me, changed his mind.

Scott

Hi Guys,
sorry to bother again. This home situation made my naim hobby explode a bit :slight_smile:

Just found a cart for my TT.

It is a Benz Wood SL with 0,40 mV output.
As Richard recommended it should run fine with the Prefix S. I am a littel confused as I have seen in www (and here in the forum) that some people even recommend K version for the low output MC.

But I think the S Version is the right one to start with - correct?

(The more you read - the more there is confusion… as Goethe once said :))

Thank you so much Neil @NeilS .
Yes - the photo shows exactly that the cable exits together with snaic.

When service is done at Naim Salisbury, is there any recapping of components included? The prefix is one of the first ones and therefore 25 years old.

A Local service point told me, that there is nothing you can and have to change, another one offers recapping for phono boards.

Many thx!

A prefix service consists of 6x tantalum capacitors & 4x electrolytic axial capacitors. Plus the component changes for the RF modification if required.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Thanks Neil.
Meaning - mine is perfectly fine. :slight_smile: :smile:

Have a nice day and fine regards from Germany

Got my Power supply for the phonosophie no3 today. It looks like brand new - I am totally happy with it (it has got fresh service as well)

What I recognized was, that here the power socket is a tiny bit more loose as the rest of my components. I know that this decoupling is a Naim feature. No question on that. The cord can be fitted perfectly and it do not come loose - only a bit more shaking on the socket :slight_smile:
What interests me: are the cables inside fixed (brazed) strong Enough so that nothing comes loose when there is movement in the power socket.
Do not want to look inside as it is so perfect in its like new status.

Sorry… it is question time…
My prefix also arrived today. Wow again… it looks fabric new as well!
Very nice contact with cymbiosis - thank you Wayne!

I am planning to power the prefix by my hiCap. There is still one spare hiCap, which love to be powered again.
Last service was 2004. as i am a great admirer of recapping/Service I was planning the service for the hiCap as well. Is it also very helpful here or does the phonostage do not need so much fresh power?

Anyone an idea?

Yes, the decoupled IEC socket is a feature of Naim, and don’t worry, all the soldering side should be to the highest standards.

1 Like