Will I lose Radio 2?

Hi @Njb

I’ve just had a chat with the fine folk at the BBC and they have confirmed that they’ve been having a tidy up of various URL’s and some legacy ones are being discontinued. Vtuner will be updating the URL’s in their database to latest versions and then all will be fine again.

Best wishes

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

10 Likes

Thank you for following this up and getting an answer. Even better that it is a good answer too!

2 Likes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/recent-changes-to-bbc-sounds/tunein-changes

On the hour every hour today there has been a short announcement about how BBC radio can be received from March 21 and beyond. (See also the link above - there is a list of affected devices. I don’t see Naim listed.)

Question: Will I still be able to receive BBC iRadio via my Naim Uniti (mark I)? I also use Bluetooth speakers to play BBC radio via BBC Sounds on my phone. But, the Naim is my main go-to for listening.

Thanks.

D.

See this linked post from Stevesky

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

Speaking as a Luddite…!

Does this mean that, at worst, I may have to reset the presets for my BBC Radio 3 and 4 iRadio settings, but that I won’t have any loss of reception, and my Uniti will continue to receive BBC via iRadio?

Anything tech is way beyond me!

Thanks again.

D.

I’ve merged your thread with the existing one.

1 Like

I expect you won’t need to do anything on iRadio, but at worse you might need to reset presets.
You won’t loose reception

Hi @Dinarius

One benefit of everything going via VTuner is that when a station changes its backend server, it only needs changing at VTuner and then all Naim customers get the station again.

Now and then VTuner get caught out as there are about 46000 stations in the database and if a station still has audio on it (but the audio is saying please update the URL, or this station has moved home) the automated system for detecting dead links won’t flag up that the station needs reviewing.

We have discussed in detail with the BBC and VTuner on what the deal is and it should be a painless process to get the system updated to the latest URL’s.

Best wishes

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

1 Like

Hi @Dinarius

The vtuner database is now updated for international access to bbc radio. The message of pending end of service should now be history.

Best wishes

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd

2 Likes

The end of service message only lasted a day for me.

I’m still receiving BBC radio, so all seem ok.

Many thanks.

D.

So today my Bedr app has told me unequivocally that Radio 4 etc. are no longer available. Any suggestions for iOS apps with an alarm that will receive it as they seem to be diminishing by the day.

Hi,

I believe the issue is:

• Listening to the BBC outside of the UK
  • The device has an old radio preset in it that is pointing to the discontinued servers.

To resolve this in the Internet radio view, browse to the station (eg. Locations->Europe->United Kingdom->All Stations). Pick the station of choice and it should play. If so, then resave the preset by pressing the ‘star’ icon on the now playing screen.

Best

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

1 Like

Doesn’t work Steve. They have warning it would shut down this week but it’s shut down ahead of the date mentioned.

I’m using the Bedr iOS app in the UK and the stream died. Browsing for another stream basically says there isn’t one. Reported it to them.

In the meantime I was about to improvise using Apple shortcuts to awaken the stream on the awful BBC Sounds app, which I genuinely resent having to download as it really is an awful app. The shortcut is a right kludge as it only works if you set and then stop your iOS alarm whereas what you actually want is both to go off so you know both are working in the event of one failing on a day you need to get up.

However, came across an iOS app called UK Radioplayer. Another free app. Contains an alarm. Has a Radio 4 stream which works so… job done and I can still avoid Sounds.

BBC Radio 3 HD on vtuner has gone awol here in Ireland, ‘Live’ version at 128k is working

Hi @mikehughescq

Just had a better play with this. This is not a Naim issue (we’ve updated all our URL’s a while back), but rather the Bedr iOS app has out of date URL’s built into it for the BBC. Propose try and contact this developer to get their app updated.

Best

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

As per previous post I have indeed contacted the developer.

My problem is now with BBC Radio 4 only.

Say I switch from FM to BBC Radio 3 iRadio directly using the preset button: Radio 3 restores history fully and plays perfectly. If it cuts out for any reason, it rebuffers automatically.

Now, say I press the Radio 4 preset; it shows “Restoring history” up to 64% and starts playing. But, it sticks at 64% and no more. It never reaches 100%. Then, after about 3-4 minutes, it cuts out and will not rebuffer.

Any idea what’s up?

Many thanks.

Denis

I suggest deleting the R4 preset, then navigate to R4, select the stream and then favourite it again.

Best

David

David,

Thanks for that.

I had tried replacing preset, rather than deleting and then renewing it.

Will try that and see how it works.

One thing…Radio 4 can be found in more than one location. I think it may be in a NAIM favourites and by Location.

Where can the truest, most up-to-date streams be found for a given channel?

Thanks again.

D.

I should see what works. Steve tries to keep Naim favourites up to date, but depending where you are (ie if outside UK), the other way of finding it might be more relevant to you.

Best

David