Wingspan. Board game for Bird lovers

Anybody got this? We were given this for Christmas. Got it out at the weekend, it appears to be seriously complicated. We have both read the instructions twice, played the “how to play” trial game which guides you through it. Are we any the wiser?? The concepts we are trying to get our heads around are, 1. How to play. 2. What are we trying to achieve? 3. Tactics/strategy. :rofl:

We will have another go today. I suspect that once we do get the hang of it it will be quite fun. Most board games are simple!!

Featured Components:

• 170 unique bird cards (57x87mm) + 10 unique bird cards in the swift-start teaching guide
  • 26 bonus cards (57x87mm)
  • 16 Automa cards (57x87mm)
  • 103 food tokens
  • 75 egg miniatures
  • 5 custom wooden dice
  • 5 player mats
  • 1 birdfeeder dice tower
  • 2-piece Game Trayz custom tray
  • 1 goal mat
  • 8 goal tiles
  • 1 first-player token
  • 40 action cubes (8 per player)
  • 1 scorepad (50 sheets; 1 sheet used for all players each game)
  • 3 rulebooks
1 Like

:grin::grin: I like the pun. The game is new to me, it looks complex from the contents list, I’ll be interested to hear your feedback once you get the hang of it.

1 Like

How to play in 15 mins

And this one with the lady who invented the game.

1 Like

Ha, that is funny!

I was given this as a present for Christmas last year 2020, I have made a few attempts to play it and each time we gave up, that is with two young kids.

My friend, who bought it for me and who is a board game geek, assures me it’s very easy to play???

I have suggested that we get to gather to give it a go but that has not materialised yet.

I watched that video as well.

My wife and I have now had sessions over 3 weekends.

1. There is learning the “how to play” mechanics of the game and how to score. It is complex by most game’s standards. When it is your go, you have 4 choices of action, each one with several elements. Each game has 8 rounds which is about 35 goes and there are 6 different ways in which you can score points. We are getting there, we still have the instructions at hand at all times and we have both watched the videos. There is a lot to learn.

2. Then there is a whole new world of what strategy to take. We are no way on top of this yet. There is clearly elements of luck as there are dice and choosing cards involved, but a lot of thinking and strategy.

I would have thought it was not suitable for children of younger ages, but perhaps they can learn quicker than older adults.
However I think if you put in the hours to learn how to play it becomes enjoyable and does work the brain a fair bit. It’s a bit like learning all the rules of Cricket, you keep finding rules you didn’t know.
I think we are going to enjoy it, but it does need some real commitment.

Yes, you are right, too complicate for young kids, but as the graphics and the general subject matter is really nice, we though we could have a child as a partner and they would enjoy the game. But for that to work, it needs a parent to have game play competence and we are not there yet.

I will say that I saw this reviewed and requested it as a gift to take to the cabin for evening fun, and my father in-law is into bird watching so I thought he would enjoy it to.

Hopefully, we will get time to sit down and give it a proper go. Good luck with your quest.

1 Like

Thanks,
I think it really need a few hours to get on top of it.

It’s a great game once you get the hang of it. There is an app available called Windsong that enables you to scan a card and hear the birds song.

2 Likes

That’s great, the kids will love that.

1 Like

That should have been WingSong! I’m blaming autocorrect!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.