Winter Olympics 2022

This is abuse, not just doping. She is a minor. Those around her are guilty, she is not. I hope she competes and does well as she is so talented, although how she can get her head together after all this I cannot imagine. I don’t think she should receive a medal if she wins, but at least she can show her skills.

I wished I had faith in the people around her, and maybe the system too, being brought to book.

Not unique to Russia of course. For ages I have thought sports such as gymnastics should raise the minimum age for elite competition to try and protect hot-housed kids.

Bruce

3 Likes

Well, you could do that.

But if you did, you’d be to blame, not your kids. :thinking:

Today’s decision creates a mess. Allowed to compete but not eligible for a medal? Dangerous precedent, and a bad message.

1 Like

I haven’t really watched any of this as it’s sport and I’m not interested in watching sport, but I saw a couple of short videos on a news channel. She is amazing. That’s not abuse of an anti-angina drug. It’s sheer talent and a lot of hard work.

2 Likes

There has been quite a lot of chat/discussion today that Women’s events, at the Olympics, in future, should only be contested by Women and not Children.

1 Like

I agree there should be an age limit these kids are just being exploited. There’s lots of stories about kids being pushed by their parents coach’s etc that just don’t end well. Surely that’s not in the best interest of the kid or the sport. Gymnastics is a perfect example.

I doubt that will happen. There are people trying to stop men from competing in women’s Olympics events, but they are not getting very far.

1 Like

Caught the French figure skating pair last night and they were mesmerising. Worth a watch if you can find it. Probably after 7:00 on Monday evening’s show.

G

2 Likes

Ben Johnson was a great athlete who put in a lot of hard work to get to the top. So was Lance Armstrong. So was Marion Jones. But they were drug cheats.

Anti-Angina drugs (three of them in Valieva’s case) are performance enhancing drugs used to increase endurance and reduce fatigue. This means that athletes can train harder and longer. This is cheating.

5 Likes

Great result in the ice hockey with Slovakia beating USA - 2:2, then 1:0 during the shootout. Brilliant!

Found out this week that for the GB/Scottish Curling teams it is a full time paid job.

My career teacher at school never told me that!!

3 Likes

This is what history feels like!

1 Like

Didn’t see it, what’s going on.

Gold medal - Finland

Men’s gold-medal match: Finland 2-1 ROC

All over! Finland have won the men’s ice hockey gold medal for the very first time.

This is big for us, ice hockey is the number one sports around here.

3 Likes

Sorry I thought it was a fight. :grin::grin:

Congratulations Finland.

1 Like

Yes well done Finland. Good to see ROC beaten.

4 Likes

They’ll probably invade Finland on Thursday.

1 Like

Once putin wakes up and sees the final score. Undoubtedly.

1 Like

I doubt it. Vladimir and Sauli (our president) used to be teammates

1 Like

Not sure I trust the guy on the left :flushed:

4 Likes