Wired via power through lines or WiFi?

Up to a few months ago, I was using Ethernet-over-Mains to connect my network to my NDX. I finally bought a better router, with improved wi-fi, which enabled me to remover the ethernet adaptors and connect wirelessly.
I should have done it years ago.
There is a great improvement in clarity, resolution and voices appear more natural. Everything sounds “cleaner” and I am able to pick out details and rhythms that were previously hidden. .

2 Likes

I think you have described this really well. I think I have lost a bit of ‘attack’ or ‘oomph’ by going wireless but I have definitely gained in detail and a greater sense of space and air. Soundstage better

1 Like

Space and air is a good way of putting it as well. In some respect it makes sense if we’re to attribute sense to any of this. After all, with WiFi there wouldn’t be anything (and in many cases multiple things—e.g., different cables, switches and PSU designs) in the signal path imparting a signature to the sound; at least not comparatively.

Well with wifi your main variable for a given signal quality is what is sharing the SSID and the channel. Wifi works by listen and wait before the packet of data is sent… this means the packets can come at very dynamic and variable rate of flow… this can affect SQ, as the state machine will be activating at different times creating a noise profile in your streamer. … so wifi has variables just like Ethernet… you choose your compromise.
The one advantage wifi does have over twisted pair Ethernet is the elimination of common mode noise conducting along a cable.

2 Likes

@Simon-in-Suffolk, you are such a wealth of knowledge on the subject! You’re right, of course. I feel I’ve read virtually everything there is to read insofar as your posts on the subject, be it wired or wireless, since getting into streaming. I should’ve put in the caveat for those with good signal quality and/or little else other than audio applications cluttering one’s in-home WiFi. It seems folks with either of these scenarios tended reporting improvements of WiFi over Ethernet, at least from what I poured over and gathered among such not-so-distant-past comparison posts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.