Wish list for new naim products in 2022 and beyond

A Naim on the level of Dagostino Progression Integrated Amplifier. A intergrated Super Amp. Not more then two boxes. More is ridiculous. Please Naim

2 Likes

A statement level phono amp
A statement level active crossover
A DBL successor 3 way speaker (not necessarily optically, though wouldn’t mind personally)

6 Likes

I can only count 4 552HU/552PSU, 500HU/552SPU.

Do Naim owe me a couple of boxes?

1 Like

A used Statement?

4 Likes

A Supernova - A double height Nova at a NDX2 / SN3 level, including the phono stage and an Atom HE level headphone stage.

6 Likes

I didn’t say equal, just like a Supernait 3 isn’t equal to a 252/300 :slight_smile:

The ability to change white logos to green going forward.

11 Likes

Not much to listen to with these :wink:
ND555/555PS are already two more and the D’Agostino Integrated features optional built-in modules for streaming and phono stage

A SuperCore that does all the stuff people expect the UnitiCore to do, but it doesn’t…

15 Likes

Fair comment but you seem to be complaining about box count.

Naim have chosen to go down the linear power supply route, necessitating large transformers. These must be physically separated from the more delicate electronics found in pre amps and sources, which leads to multiple boxes.

Naim’s all-in-ones and integrateds are compromised designs at entry level and lower down the product hierarchy, although they do offer some great integrated kit. An all-in-one or integrated 500 unit goes against the Naim DNA at this level of performance.

Don’t get me wrong, I would personally love a one-box 500 unit, but it ain’t happening unless they make a radical change to power supplies or find a genius way of internal screening, which seems unlikely.

4 Likes

What do you missing?:thinking:

I think the S1 shows what can be done with isolation and a single (though large) box. It meets some of the desires for reducing box count, racks and wrestling with cable dressing. So, a stripped down variation of a S1 and a single box power supply would be heading in the right direction….possibly.

3 Likes

Nigel,
This line of argument has its limits. Just look at what Vitus achieves with its one box amps.

We have settled for a 2 box amp and had to leave Naim (for the living room system) to achieve it.

A 2 box Naim amp, e.g with the power supply in one box and all sensitive electronics in the other box could be made to work, surely?

Best regards, BF

7 Likes

Rather than a 500 integrated, I would like to see a reference version of the Supernait around the £8k mark , that is say a level down from the 282/hi/250.

A lot of people here don’t want to go down the multi box approach with separate boxes, burndys and the need for another rack, which consequently add greater expense. Fraims aren’t exactly cheap and cable dressing would be easier and in general multiple boxes, longer speaker cables lengths and other Naim eccentricities would be less off putting for non Naim owners considering the brand.

Or like someone else said, the pre/power in one box and the PS in another box. Much better than the 4 box 282/napsc/hi/250 arrangement - the natural upgrade from the sn3 with or without hicap.

I think either of the two suggestions above could be popular as people here do comment alot about the ever increasing numbers of boxes required and not wanting to go down that particular path.

I think this could prove popular for those staying within a certain budget (£8k) and then there would be still be the multi box option for those wanting to move up to greater heights from say the 282/hicap/250 onwards.

I miss my old Rega Isis and Osiris combo for 2 box simplicity and yet high end SQ (£13 k). I sold these when I bought a property, but if Rega had made a streaming front end, I would be back there again. They’ve also barely increased in price in 11 years. Come on Rega please make a streamer at Isis level.

That’s my 2 cents. I’ll get my coat.

5 Likes

I wish for new Naim loudspeakers to rekindle the spark of the SBLs. With the passing of Stewart Tyler of ProAc, I fear if there will be any innovation from this much loved brand. Oops, we have Naim Focal or Focal Naim whichever way one prefers. I will crawl back into my cave, my man-cave.

6 Likes

I think if Naim could put a high end pre amp, power amp and beefy linear power supplies in the same box without compromising SQ they would have done it by now. They have had decades to find a solution but have stuck with the separation approach.

Vitus’ design philosophy is different to Naim’s. Nothing wrong with that. I have never had the opportunity to compare Vitus to Naim so cannot comment on their relative merits. But I have compared Naim to several other makes and, pound for pound, I have always preferred Naim. So in my book they have their design philosophy right.

Others will disagree and prefer another manufacturers. Some will pick another manufacturer over Naim simply to reduce the box count. Nothing wrong with that either.

3 Likes

The S1 is essentially two boxes with the power supply housed, and separated in the lower part and the head unit in the upper part.

That doesn’t mean to say there won’t be advances in screening and isolation, but we are dealing with the laws of physics here, so a degree of separation will always be required with big ol’ power supplies/transformers and sensitive electronics.

1 Like

As you say, it’s a pretty big box.

If you just want a 500 one-box you could just house the components in an S1 size box (I realise there is a bit more sophistication to the S1 that just sticking it all in one box). But as Nigel says, getting a 500 case size one-box would be a lot harder.

Yes, larger boxes is what I was suggesting, to reduce “box count” and removing the need for a rack and cables, or at least reducing it.

1 Like

Not complaining, just replying to a wish list thread. Thanks for the science lesson though.