Wish list for new naim products in 2022 and beyond

I like the Naim App, but I wish it would always show the type of file and the bitrate of the music that is currently playing so I know I’ve set it up properly.
I’m not sure this is considered a new product so I’ll add that I’d also like to see a streamer-on!y product like almost all the others make.

1 Like

It shows file type and bit rate for upnp and Qobuz. Maybe you are looking in the wrong place.

Yes possibly, thanks. I’ll have a good look and jot down some notes on where exactly I’m not seeing them, then maybe start a thread for some assistance. We don’t get Qobuz in Canada so it’s more for Tidal, iRadio and local streaming.

They are certainly there for upnp, iRadio and Qobuz, on what I call the ‘now playing’ screen.

Then it has to be something I’ve got wrong, or I’m not looking in the right place.
And here I am again at 3:30 in the morning, typing instead of sleeping. But I’d much rather be figuring out these issues than just sitting here. It’s not often, but sometimes sleep just doesn’t happen. Ah well, some people have real problems.

Here it is, on the now playing screen of the app.

It also shows temporarily on the screen of the new platform 272.2.

I see what you just did there……

1 Like

Thanks so much, HH, that’s very clear. I’ll have to have a closer look and itemize exactly where I was having difficulty seeing the info. I can’t quite remember just now, it may have only been one area. From what you say though, it seems like the info is certainly there.

You have to play around with the app settings sometimes. Sometimes you can change something accidentally and then it’s a bugger to get it back to where it was before.

Or maybe that’s just me ?

1 Like

It would be nice seeing the info before choosing an album (if it’s available in various versions), but I don’t think it does that, you have to play it and then go to the Now Playing screen as HH wrote

That would be a nice option when one has multiple versions of files. I can usually remember bits of info like that, but not always.

Thanks to all.

I like things as they are, sonically and visually, and like the Do Nothing advice. Also, even if putting a platform under 52 or NDX2 or Superline would make a 1% improvement to sound, I wouldn’t notice it.

I also note that dealers I have known for a long time and trust just don’t sell them or anything more exotic than expensive interconnects - are they just more resistant to woo-merchants or is their lack of interest partly economic?

However, a forum like this encourages me to wonder if I could get 1% from each of 4 or 5 such changes - more than enough to notice and be pleased, if only I tried them all.

It also seems that most on the forum either (a) don’t believe in these things on principle/ common sense/ aesthetics, or (b) have tried specific examples in actual systems and bought something that for them improved the sound. As with chatting with friends and hi-fi shop people over the years, few (but not none) seem to have tried good platforms and decided that platforms made no improvement. Is that really just a believer/ sceptic bias showing?

Do Nothing may still win of course, but rabbit-holes like isolation and flash cables don’t go away, and I keep wondering. From the comments so far, if I do anything at all, it will probably involve calling The Audio Consultants.

2 Likes

Hi,
an updated Naim 5si “with added love for vinyl” (phono imput) and a Power-Line Lite in a Shucko plug
Claudio

Just got an e-mail with the new ash-grey combo (Star & Arials). If they do something like that with the Nova?

How about a nice 500 series DAC. Full size box and floating chassis etc. same flexibility as the old NDAC but powered by 555ps (1 or 2) only. Now that would get my money. Sorry if someone has already suggested this but could not find it when I searched.

Probably. They’re on a bit of a roll at the moment with grey versions of various products :person_shrugging:t3:

I was wondering about the combo as such rather than about the colors. I really do not know the Focals, but wonder if Naim matches the “perfect” speaker with the Star? I was surprised insofar that the Arial is a relatively low cost speaker, at least compared to Harbeth. Means I remain curious what speaker they would match with the Nova.

The official “bundle” for the Nova is with the Kanta no 2.

I feel the same way!!
As an SL2 owner it scares me should any Mid/Bass Drive packed up!!
You are also correct about the tweeters .
I cant find a Matched Pair anywhere.

An updated SN3 with the ability to switch out the MM phono stage and turn it into a line in. Then I could use the Phono button for my MC cartridge. It would keep the OCD in check. :grinning:

2 Likes