With 20+ years of Naim’s Classic pre’s/powers where are we at and how have things advanced in this time?

I’ve also ordered a new PreAmp 252 with supercap to add to my NAP 300DR. Very much looking forward to getting everything up and running…

I just wonder…that the bottleneck on power was the need to use one power transistor per channel to get the speed or PRAT that Naim owners like. With Statement they developed their own power transistor that has now trickled down to the other amps…perhaps one day they could get a power increase as a redevelopment?

They could have just gone to Rega!

One area where there seems to be a lot of drifting away from Naim seems to be the phonostage. I find the superline very satisfying, after a shaky start when it was picking up one or more radio stations, but it doesn’t seem to be an automatic choice for a lot of owners of otherwise complete Naim amplification. There is movement on the phonostage front with the inclusion in recent Naits, could there be a move to add one into the pre amps with turntables returning to favour?
The unitis could also do with a neater solution than a stageline and hicap, can the ADC input be used with digital eq? Personally I’d like to hear if Naim can improve on the superline, maybe in a full width case but my bank balance wouldn’t like it.

Couldn’t agree more. At least include a powered Aux2 socket in the streaming series (272, uniti, etc).

I thought about it for the P8 and 252, but the Superline is expensive in the marketplace. It’s expensive in itself, then a HiCap at least. And it forces an MC, so the upgrade path is difficult for some. You need to be very committed to vinyl to go Superline. Difficult vs e.g. Aria or even Aura. The Aria gives a nice upgrade path for a reasonable price if you are not so sure about how much vinyl you will play, the Aura is a strong contender in price. Rega turntables are widespread, and with the cartridges included the Rega pres are also a logical choice for Rega owners

1 Like

I’m using the inbuilt phono stage on my SN3 and it seems very good. A powered socket on the Unitis etc would be a really good idea, if an internal stage isn’t practical. Even adding a Stageline and Flatcap is £1,500. Why would anyone wanting to add a relatively modest TT possibly spend that sort of money?

4 Likes

£2.5k at current prices I think plus an available powered AUX2, which I preferred to a hicap anyway. I payed £1400 for a one year old exdemo a year after they were launched. I was replacing a 20 year old iso and didn’t consider anything else.

3000 EUR on the continent and requirement to buy an MC, while an Aria is 1100, you can keep using an MM, and a pre-powered Superline is not necessarily a big upgrade over the Aria and of course needs a capable pre. With a HiCap the Superline is 4700 EUR, with an SC it’s 8780. I haven’t listened to it because at the time I bought the Aria it was not an option (no 252 then), but my dealer says it needs at least a HiCap - YMMV.

I am not saying that the Superline isn’t good, just what I wrote earlier, it’s a big commitment to vinyl. Which is fine for some people, but not an easy decision for someone who is mostly streaming or getting back into vinyl and unsure how much use it will get. This is different to a time when vinyl was the only choice

I can’t help thinking that (Scotty mode :grinning:) the laws of physics haven’t changed recently. Neither has there been a major new technology advance in the electronics sphere. Given this I’m not clear why redesigning the Classic amps might be felt necessary. If it ain’t broke…

1 Like

I like the way Naim has stayed consistent with the classic series. I hate when I buy a new product and six months later the “new improved” version comes out destroying the resale/trade in value of your six month old product. Even with the dr improvement you can send in your 10 year old 500 and you are up to date. This also works in the upgrade path because of the resale value of your component you are upgrading. You receive more for your trade in since it is still in the line and the trade in difference is less. Now, I’m all for a 500 series all in one integrated.

5 Likes

Not a difference to make me stray from olive. IMO.

2 Likes

Ok added a streamer. But the sweet spot nd5xs2 :wink:

Surely the 282 could be updated to only need a single power supply, or even better - powered off an updated 250.

1 Like

Maybe it could but surely there is a reason that the 200 can power a pre and the 250 (and above) can’t and that is simply that the latter are higher performing products.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

As a matter of interest , who ?

I wondered if they were making the arms under license ?

IIRC, the new Krane tonearm on the Majik is made in partnership with Clearaudio. It looks to be based upon the Clearaudio Satisfy.

1 Like

Things seem to be moving in the direction of more capability in less boxes with more modern styling. I fully expect to see (and eagerly await) a new all in one/streaming preamp, but it will take some innovation to beat the Nova IMO and so we wait…im sure a 572 and/or SuperNova will be along shortly…

1 Like

Again, if the analog aspect is standing still why would you want aging digital technology that changes like the wind tied up within the same box.
The classic range is not a lifestyle product like the uniti range and is fundamentally about sound quality.

1 Like

I get where you are coming from and for sure separates will beat the Uniti range at a price but I wouldn’t say the Uniti range isn’t fundamentally about sound quality. If pure lifestyle products I wouldn’t have bought one (hate B&O for instance), more best VFM sound quality delivered with a sense of style (vs lifestyle) is how I would describe the range… :slight_smile:

2 Likes