Witty Put-Downs

Not sure it is worth a separate post but I didn’t know where else to post so please forgive me if you think it could have gone somewhere else.

I have always been fond of a good put-down from the time I heard the famous Churchill one against Lady Aster (?). At dinner one evening Lady A said to him ‘Sir, you are very drunk’. He is alleged to have replied ‘& madam, you are very ugly. However, in the morning, I will be sober’.

For the first time yesterday I came across comedian Paul Whitehouse interviewing Eric Clapton & Glynn Johns in 2016 after the release of EC’s ‘I still do’ album:-

PW ‘It’s a pleasure to be speaking to both the extremely legendary guitarist Eric Clapton & the also extremely legendary record producer Glynn Johns. Now, before we start lets get it clear. Who’s who?’

9 Likes

My favorite is, “You’re doing a great job, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise

3 Likes

This one.
If you didn’t say anything nobody would know.

Y’know Jim, I don’t care what everyone else says about you … as far as I’m concerned, you’re an okay guy.

2 Likes

That man is depriving a Village of their idiot…

3 Likes

It takes one to know one.

Steve Martin in Roxanne - “If it’s a battle of wits you’re after, I never fight with an unarmed man”

6 Likes

You used to be really attractive. Now you are absolutly stunning. Or that might be a “put-up”?
Either way its unexpected.

Well, that was effortless… neither of you put any effort into it

(Said to me by my riding instructor about a Dressage movement I’d just ridden)

3 Likes

Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music

Album notes from Lou end with “My week beats your year”.

2 Likes

“You look like a bag of sick loosely tied in the middle”

Said to me from my old grammar school English teacher.
Based on my appropriation of the uniform shirt tucked into trousers.
Unforgettable.
And, he was a really nice chap.
( He should have taught at boris’s school and given this advice)

1 Like

“Michael Jackson’s album was called Bad because there wasn’t enough room on the sleeve for Pathetic.” Prince

10 Likes

A boss once opened a performance review meeting with me, with the comment:-

“You set yourself very low standards, which you fail to achieve”.

He was joking. I think!!

2 Likes

In response to “you’re fat”.

“I can loose weight…you’ll always be ugly”.

1 Like

Not many of these are put-downs - perhaps witty quotes would be a better title?

Don’t worry, we will cover your job while you’re away on leave, as soon as we find out what it is you do.

8 Likes

Robert Muldoon, a previous New Zealand PM on people emigrating to Australia: “It raises the IQ of both countries”.

14 Likes

Precious PM!

1 Like

Now, that’s clever …

3 Likes

I’m sure your next boss will appreciate you.

1 Like