Wondering if ATC may join the party?

After seeing how PMC have recently added an active module to their Twenty5 range of speakers I wondered if ATC may be tempted to try the same.
Their active module is already mounted on the rear of their cabinets so wondered if it could be something they may consider doing in the future, as an upgrade option for their passive versions just a thought.
The advantage PMC had is the passive crossover is mounted on the large rear plate so they had a reasonably large area to fit their new module into but from what I can see on the ATC’s the speaker binding post is a lot smaller so maybe a larger task but could be interesting.

1 Like

However there is another significant difference: ATC already offers a pretty full range of active versions of their speakers, whereas hitherto PMC had mainly only offered activateable speakers to the domestic market, and even in their top range domestics sold as active it has been with an external bank of amps, not directly attached to the speakers. Arguably if is PMC who have been playing catch-up, though indeed the attractive bonus is the ability add on the purpose designed active modules to existing boxes, something ATC doesn’t presently do.

Totally understand the points you raise just thought with the vast experience that ATC have producing active speakers it might be an option going forward.
I really like the idea of being able to start with a passive version then at a later date when funds allow you could add the active module and even if you then decided to move up the PMC ladder you could swap out the active unit and transfer them to the new speaker, just seemed a very well thought out and clever idea.
Surely it would be a benefit to owners of ATC models if they could do a similar thing.
I will be interested to see if PMC bring the same type active module to their 26 and maybe even the fact range but I think it’s unlikely maybe down to numbers produced.
Interesting times :+1:.

1 Like

ATC is using class AB amplifiers (at least last I tried them) which are much heavier and difficult to mount safely. The PMC stuff looks like class D to me, much lower weight and size.

It used to be possible to activate the larger ATC:s but it required a factory visit.

2 Likes

i did ask ben lilly at as how if the would activate the 11’s but he said th e20 was as small as they could get an amp pack in as they are of course more traditional Class A/B with toroids rather than class D in the PMC’s.

1 Like

I fully agree, and didn’t mean to imply otherwise - I was merely suggesting ATC might see it as kess of an imperative …until they see thd popularity of PMC’s approach!

1 Like

As far as I know, ATC adjusts the amp pack to suit each speaker, sending the passive speaker back to ATC to have the active amp pack fitted would be needed.

2 Likes

At a visit I watched ATC tune the active filters after final assembly to achieve perfect crossover performance.

3 Likes

@silverback
Your OP, what a delicious idea…
Been asking and finding out about this recently too.

With the Entry range ATC 19’s and 40’s there is just the separate passive and active models. With no transition between passive and active possible.

If you have either 19 or 40 passive and wish to go to active, currently, you have to buy a new active speaker pair. (The 19 passive cabinet is completely different to 19 active cabinet anyway. So the idea to seamlessly convert any internals might only work for 40, in any case ).

So thinking about just 40, suspect it’s something related to the way in which that model is manufactured. After all, it is made to a competitive price point. (So, maybe they are not so well suited to taking apart and upgrading).

My understanding is things are different up their range…
For some of their higher models - Classic & Tower, range, etc - it’s feasible to move between passive and active versions. However, this requires returning the speaker to ATC HQ. Amongst other things, they tune the active parts - in house - to pair with the drive unit and ensure optimal match. There is an appropriate cost involved.

This approach seems more “engineering” and “best of class”, “do it properly” led, which is to be applauded. It also means it less easy ?

For these higher models, this is maybe done on a “per enquiry” basis, for each customer and their speakers. The dealers will organise this for you.

Hope those insights adds something useful.
R

2 Likes

@silverback
Again, it’s an interesting question you pose.
Recently - independently - wrote down some thoughts related to this topic…

Yes, might cause ATC to look at this market move and react competitively.
Maybe with development of 19 and 40 models, or different models ?

IMO, the ATC 40 as active are a great product, at a competitive price, ( it’s a great speaker and amplifiers too), so suspect ATC might be less concerned about loosing sales of that active speaker. Maybe ?

Interesting topic
R

I’m not sure that woukd work with the 19s. The passive version is a (largish) bookshelf, whereas the actives are floor standers, using the same cabinet as the SCM 40s, I believe.

Roger

1 Like

Roger that.
I’ll edit accordingly, to make that clearer.
R

Don’t the numbers relate to the interior speaker volume in litres ?

yes… the active 19 sits on an integral plinth/box so it looks like one unit but the volume behind the drivers is still 19 litres. i wonder if this is advantageous for the amp packs as they are not part of the speaker volume as n the 40’s?

1 Like

This is a really interesting take on the commercial aspects which I had not fully considered. The way this could come into play is as follows (leaving aside for the moment the calibration issue)

ATC would probably go with modifying the passive version to have a cutout that would accept the amp pack then creating and manufacturing a new passive “plate” to fit the cutout. There is a cost per unit for doing that which has to be passed to the consumer by 1) raising the price of the passive version, 2) raising the price of the amp pack. 3) raising the price of the active version. Or some combination of the three. Adding the cost to the amp pack is probably the best option.

1 Like

Sure. Understand the idea.
Just checking…
Do you mean for the 40’s specifically ?

1 Like

yes, that is what I had in mind.

1 Like

I believe they are fully on the outside of the box, so not part of the speaker volume.

2 Likes

Yes they are.

Roger

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.