Words or phrases that are like nails down a chalk/blackboard

“Methinks”. Our monarch is Elizabeth II not Elizabeth I

4 Likes

The wife

G

6 Likes

Most biz babble bollocks.

Pet hate is when people say “leverage” instead of “use”. Drives me bonkers.

5 Likes

‘My bad’. Makes anyone sound like an idiot.

I’ve heard people saying they don’t like the phrase ‘It is, what it is’. I happen to really like this phrase. It’s very definitive, and can be comforting at times when discussing troubling personal situations.

8 Likes

Does not disappoint

2 Likes

Your journey

3 Likes

“The news had come out in the First World War”

that bloody song (and I’m going to hear it daily for three more weeks yet)

2 Likes

Variations on:
“Sorry for any ___ caused.”

It really irritates me when a spokesperson (or an individual) negates their ‘apology’ by caveating the offence with ‘any’.

4 Likes

Probably not one to come up very often though.

Whilst thinking about it, Woke. Ever since Ricky Gervais used it, people Googled to see what it meant and now it’s used at any opportunity. Sheep.

And ever since i’m lovin’ it was used by McDonald’s, sheep have taken that on board too. And they don’t even use a capital I.

The word sheep.

And Bitcoin.

4 Likes

Until you’ve shouted “HOUSE” in the middle of presentation when you get a line on your Bullshit Bingo card, you haven’t lived…

7 Likes
  • Describing hifi, or any other inanimate object for that matter, as “sexy”. How can it be???
  • Starting a sentence “to be honest”. Presumably everything else the person says is not honest?
  • As mentioned by someone else, using the word “so” when opening something that does not obviously follow from whatever immediately preceded it.
  • “Musicality” applied to the sound of a hifi system: hifi doesn’t create or play music, it only reproduces (or attempts to) a recording of music.
  • “World class”, especially when used by a politician describing a system they say they will introduce. In my experience the outcome is invariably useless or nearly so.
  • The term “night and day difference”, and similar superlatives, in relation to changes in sound quality that in reality are only small or subtle, such as commonly the case with hifi tweaks, cable changes, and often even power supply and amplifier changes.
  • “My bad” as a statement on its own (also mentioned by someone else): My bad what?
  • “Thus far” instead of “so far”. Thus is a very useful word but this recent usage fashion is pretentious and highly irritating.

And, non specifically, most things that sales people say when trying to persuade my that I should buy their product!

1 Like

for me

I’m all over it…
Blue Sky thinking
it is what it is
I will get onto it next
did you get my…

far to many in HIFI world

2 Likes

Working in IT, what really makes me grind my teeth and utter really uncharitable things is when people use words like “fast” and “slow”.

In the context of IT, these words have zero meaning at all. “fast” isn’t a number. They should be banned.

Example: “Please help. Our system is slow.

Translation: “Our system is not meeting an unspecified expectation. I’m not going to tell you what that expectation is, or what we are comparing to which led us to this conclusion. But I want you to fix it, whatever it is, so that it meets that unspecified expectation. You’ll know when you’ve succeeded because I’ll stop whining about it.

I hear problem statements every single working day from people who are allegedly fellow IT professionals and most use the “X is slow” construction. Hard to express how that pisses off me and my colleagues.

2 Likes

_“Principle” or “principal” in the wrong context.

2 Likes

Whilst I have the same reaction, such misuse is helpful in revealing the person’s understanding of the language they are using, or the lack of importance of precision to them!

1 Like

Absolutely
Let’s do this
Look ….(from a politician)

2 Likes

You beat me to it. The only time “night and day” seems appropriate in audio is when you compare Mahler’s 8th Symphony with 4:33.

1 Like

And don’t get me on “veils” please!

Adorable.

Probably the most overused word in tat journalism when not winging on about something.

1 Like

“What can I say…” at the start of a speech.

1 Like