Work for today

Also the day of the Manchester bomb which lived much longer in the memory.

After an hours exercise I’m doing my usual (for the last 9 weeks) 12 hour day from home via Teams managing within a service offering welfare rights and debt advice in the midst of a deluge of newly unemployed and newly bereaved people.

Within that I’ve a few major IT projects I also manage; a wife running tribunals from the dining room and a child in virtual school. Interesting times.

I’ve a strict routine to cope with the working day and then what’s left of the evening is as varied as it can be.

I believe the bombings were on Saturday 15th, this match was on the following Tuesday on the 18th.

Not wishing to belittle it but the family I married into are from that part of the world and the word was that it did a lot to improve the centre of Manchester. It’s probably not a recommended method of implementing town planning decisions tbh.

On a Zoom board meeting today, the director making the presentation said “David I see you have just unmuted so presumably you are wanting to say something?!”

This interpersonal skills stuff on video conferences is tough!
Best

David

How long before the next issue lands on my door step Andrew? Looking forward to it.

I have found that a really good nap purges the system of the temptation to do work of any kind … except maybe put the kettle on …

1 Like

Hopefully by the end of the month, or very soon after.

2 Likes

Doh. My memory playing tricks. The Saturday was the Scotland England game.

The whole city centre thing is arguable. Bernstein had plans which the bomb certainly accelerated but it’s hard to argue in favour of things like the loss of Shambles Square; the new characterless Corn Exchange, the Berlin Wall of Piccadilly Gardens and so on.

I’d argue that lockdown may actually produce more profound results. MCC has wilfully refused to pedestrianise Deansgate for years and yet it’s now started to happen. Long term that’s a much bigger positive.

Meeting after meeting using cisco webex, then responding to emails/chats to support the project manager/product management/client help desk/ops staff who are supposed to support client or requirements/technical clarification. In the evening, got to run a few miles with Mrs Quinn, at night, sitting alone, drinking vokda, whiskey, listening to some jazz, classical music, writing some stuffs or and try to put down some ideas or figure out how to improve/optimize stuffs/things for the next few days, weeks, …

In some cases, got woken up @ 2 or 3 AM to deal with some urgent issues, oouch :frowning: those are the real pains on the neck.

4 Likes

Well, we’ve been in “Lockdown” for 9 weeks.

I wrote the Safety Case for quarantining the aircraft and the training school buildings, and this included carrying out maintenance and preservation flights on each aircraft at four-week intervals during that period.

Wednesday was one such flight.

Thursday was back to on-line briefings and ground-school training.

Just about to start the Safety Case for self-fly-hire to single household pilots and their family members. It doesn’t look easy to achieve an acceptable low level of risk and probably isn’t economically viable.

Pictures were taken on Wednesday. Single-handed, so not very good quality.

9 Likes

I suppose I should add that Downton Abbey followers will have no difficulty recognising the second picture.

And Cats lovers might just figure out the first.

2 Likes

I worked for 50 years when i retired people had
The audacity to say are you going to look for a job
What is annoying is these people do not work

Er, increasing numbers of “retired” people gave no choice but to work.

1 Like

Nice pics Don, must be great to be able to fly

The problem is when one reaches retirement age
There can be many health issues even if you want to
Work you are unable To mobility problems etc

Yesterday was my first sane day in two months - a real meeting involving real people, and a fact white with two work colleagues in a cafe.

Than you Gaza.

Yes, it’s great to be able to get up there. I still see it as a privilege, even though I’ve been making a (sort of) living out of it in various shapes and forms, for 55 years now.

My avatar photo was taken during a trip over the Rockies from Vernon BC to Calgary AB. Here’s a picture of Kamloops (British Columbia). Unfortunately there was an accident there earlier this week. Makes you keep re-assessing risks each flight.

But overall it’s enjoyable and a privilege.

4 Likes

Some wonderful pics…reminds me of one of the tv series based up in Alaska, brave pilots…and passengers, but not much alternative up there if you want to move around, food, parcels, people.
:+1:

1 Like

This is us flying into Milford sound a few years ago (we had a pilot):

Miss Mike was very excited…

3 Likes

Yes very excited, so i suppose from time to time you ask do you remember that wonderful flight into Milford sound?:wink:

2 Likes