World Cup 2022

I don’t subscribe to Sky and Now Tv won’t do 4k (yet??), so it was a joy to see uhd on iPlayer with noticably better quality

All in all a really good start from England 6 goals from 5 different players it was also good to hear Jude Bellingham say how disappointed the whole team where to have conceded those two goals.

1 Like

The VAR decision to award Iran a penalty right at the death was laughable, especially given the same VAR officials ignoring the blatant wrestling of Maguire to the floor in the opening minutes.

Anyway, a good result and reasonable performance, albeit against a poor team. I was especially pleased for Saka getting a brace. He seems to me a nicely grounded and modest young man, who hasn’t let his PL status go to his head. If he continues in this way and works hard, I think he’s going to have an immensely impressive career. Bellingham, too perhaps.

4 Likes

Jude Bellingham is a truly outstanding player. Reminds me of a young Franz Beckenbaurer.

6 Likes

Attractive offensive football, but it still beats me that Pickford is the goalie.

Wales are very poor tonight against USA. They look like they’d struggle against my local side, Barnsley.

Which means Wales will probably play really well against England!

Good to see England thrashing Iran earlier on! Saka and the main man Marcus (I’m a Red!) on the score sheet makes it an even better result.

1 Like

Agreed.

I think it was a great decision.

Hopefully the reason for the decision was to send a message that shirt pulling will be penalised.

… but playing rugby won’t… ?

1 Like

They gave somebody else a chance in the last game. Fumbled a weak shot that cost us a victory against Germany.

Pickford played very well in the Euros. He’d be a Euro winner if not for mass inept penalty taking.

England looked good but Iran were pretty poor. Still, it’s not easy to score six against anyone at this level, let alone the 20th ranked team in the world. Bellingham outstanding.

Senegal-Holland was incredibly dull. Neither side shone. Holland’s first goal the only real moment of quality.

USA look dangerous going forward. Pulisic and Weah causing lots of problems.

Well. Grappling, wrestling, blocking, obstruction is not as clear cut as pulling a shirt. I suspect the ref gave a strong warning after the first grappling incident and that stopped it.

Two wrongs don’t make a right. :innocent:

1 Like

No he’d be a Euro winner if not for the negative tactics of his manager and gutless senior players like Sterling and Henderson and golden boy Grealish leaving two teenagers to take vital penalties and leaving the deciding penalty to a 19 year old.

Holland??
Are they in with an own team??

:wink::grin::innocent:

2 Likes

Agreed he is a good shot stopper but he’s prone to flapping, a mistake or 10 and his distribution isn’t great. I’m biased but Ramsey should be England No1.

I take it you’re Dutch and you have never called your country Holland or referred to something from the Netherlands as Hollandse?

No worries, climate change will soak this issue forever.

(Being Dutch, I don’t worry at all. Water mgmt is well organised here)

2 Likes

No, I don’t mind that much but some of my fellow countrymen are very touchy about that.
Would the same as saying to Scottish member of the SNP, “Aaahh,so you are from England!” Better start running then…:open_mouth::grin::wink:

2 Likes

I grew up in Eindhoven and it was not really an issue there as far as I was aware. Holland and Nederland seemed to be used pretty much interchangeably. Is that not the case these days?

2 Likes

You grew up in Eindhoven??? Really? I live in Valkenswaard. Must be known to you. Small world.
And no,not really an issue. Allthough more then it used to be. Most prefer to have their homeland to be addressed as The Netherlands.

2 Likes