World Cup 2022

Congrats to the Aussies. Incredible heart and effort from all (including from the Tunisian players).
I’m knackered just watching it!

1 Like

One thing that I have noticed so far is that the so-called underdog teams have played with great energy which has wrong footed some of the more experienced teams (Argentina & Germany especially - with a bit more composure Canada would have pushed Belgium even closer), whereas in the past they would have been seen as the ‘easy’ games. Interesting …more to come hopefully. Well done to Australia.

2 Likes

I switched off early in the first half. Nuff said :weary:

1 Like

All true Australians aren’t really known for our football team (soccer that is) but we do like to give it a go. Tbh we struggled just to qualify and only did so at the last opportunity.

Incidentally did anyone see the US supporters wearing tee shirts saying “it’s soccer”. Think the Aussies and the Yanks were the only ones who thought that was funny.

2 Likes

Apparently the word “soccer” - which personally I dislike, came from England and is derived from an extension of SOC within AsSOCiation Football- the original name for the game.

I had always thought, until quite recently, that calling the game soccer initiated in America

2 Likes

Ah, young people of today………think they know it all.

1 Like

I was playing soccer in the England in the 60s, always known football as soccer.

5 Likes

Quite so.

Of course the Subbuteo team in your pic is, in fact, Southampton. :laughing: :laughing:

(….I understand that other teams are available)

Did Southampton have a soccer team in the 60s. :joy:

1 Like

Nah, we just played “alehouse football” (Wm. Shankley)

And I had the Subbuteo team set, which amazingly, had a better win/loss record………….

1 Like

Well done Lewandowski; a classic poacher’s goal…! :wink:

1 Like

10 a side games in those days it would appear :smiley:

1 Like

Only 65 mins in but Cameroon v Serbia already at 3-3 in a highly entertaining game. From the period either side of half-time I thought Serbia were going to blow Cameroon away. Really couldn’t call this game now.

2 Likes

The Dymo tape took me back a bit!

2 Likes

Fabulous afternoon of footy between Africa and the rest of the World, 11 goals in 2 games…and some good refereeing to boot.

4 Likes

Paulo would like a quick word…

Yes, I was thinking, I bet Mr Taylor wished he blew his whistle 30 seconds earlier.

As for Mr Bento, he has been very uptight through both games.

2 Likes

They say football has progressed but I can’t help feeling that the 1970 Brazil team could give the current one a two goal start. Where has the flair gone?

3 Likes

Perhaps he should take up gurning professionally :rofl: :wink:

2 Likes

Never touched it!!