Worn Out 82 Volume Control - Advice Please

I have a NAC-82 and the volume control is starting to give problems.

Initially it was just noisy when I turned it up or down. But today I lost sound on one channel. But when I “wriggled” the volume control the sound came back. (This was at quite a low volume setting. I had only moved the control less than 10-degrees from its minimum position).

When I am listening to the system (i.e. not adjusting things) there are no problems (no hiss, noise, clicks). Problems are only when I move the control.

Obviously I need to get it repaired (i.e. replaced) but I think there is a long waiting list for repairs.

I have tried turning the volume up and down a few times (with the map switched off) but it made no improvement.

Any suggestions (while I wait to get a proper repair). Contact cleaner?

Thanks for any suggestions

Bonang

I think your best move is to contact Naim Audio support. If you haven’t got the POTS8 version this may still be available as an upgrade and fix in one.

I wouldn’t mess with contact cleaner as it could cause damage.

I had a NAIT3 with a noisy balance pot. When it went in for service they lubricated it, rather than replaced it. Came back silent. Just a FWIW, it might not require replacing.

Everyone’s circumstances are different, but if it was me, and depending when it was last serviced, I’d get it booked in for one.

I’m afraid I don’t have any other suggestions for a short term fix whilst you can get it properly looked at.

When you turned off the power and rotated the volume knob, did you turn it all the way from max to min several times?
There’s not much else you can do if that doesn’t help. You may find that taking it to Class A in Sheffield is a quicker and more convenient way to get it repaired, as the service dept at Naim seem to be snowed under these days.

1 Like

Move it 100 times and listen again.

Just had the volume control on my 252 fixed by Darran at Class A and turnaround was very quick.

1 Like

I agree that a lubricant spray might cause damage but, as the volume pot will almost certainly be changed anyway, I can’t see the harm in giving it a liberal squirt of WD40 just to see if it improves anything. Use the red plastic straw to get behind the control knob.

It might just allow the OP to enjoy ‘Frosty The Snowman’ from Phil Spector’s Christmas Album on Christmas Day.

I wouldn’t use regular wd40; there’s an electrical contact cleaner made by wd40 company, or similar.
“ Our fast-drying electrical contact cleaner spray is ideal for use on circuit boards, switches, even spark plugs and tape heads.”

1 Like

That sounds better. I have never heard of it.

WD40 is a water dispersant and lubricant, definitely not suitable for electrics.

1 Like

I was hoping someone would say something like “I had the exact same problem and this fixed it”. However it sounds like a much bigger problem.

I have decided not to try contact cleaner and I will contact my dealer when he reopens in the new year.

2 Likes

My 252 developed something similar. It was due a service so it went back. Naim put a new pot in as part of the service and no extra to pay. I would do this too if I were you unless your dealer has a better suggestion.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.