Worth its weight in gold

In an idle moment I was looking at prices on ebay for 802d3’s to compare what I paid. One was more but with a warranty and one was less. The advert said it could be shipped to you. I thought it would have been a nightmare to get the speakers up to my first floor living room. My dealer unpacked them in the hall, wrapped them in blankets and he and his equally strong colleague used a set of wheels to navigate the stairs which turned 180° making sure that the tweeter was away from any wall even though it was a very tight squeeze. The dealer left me a few days to roll the speakers on their castors to find the best position. I had read three or four reviews which said that you could wind down the spikes and leave the castors in place in case you wanted to move the speakers in future. I was disappointed when the dealer said this didn’t give enough engagement with the spikes so he unscrewed the castors. I felt I had been unlucky with these spikes compared to the reviewers. Later reading about the 802d4 B&W said the spikes had been lengthened to give more engagement with thick carpet!!! My dealer had installed quite a few 802d3’s so he wasn’t fooled by the marketing hype.
It showed to me that a dealer’s experience is worth its weight in gold. Over the years my Naim dealer has helped me a number of times without charging such as when he assembled a Ron Smith aerial in my loft (my lease covenant does not allow roof aerials).
I am happy to pay the full retail prices because I value the excellent service the dealer provides and and to benefit from his extensive knowledge.

5 Likes

Please correct the redundant apostrophe in the title of your post. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Thanks it is the blasted auto type which I missed.

1 Like

For a dealer with any common sense it’s a no-brainer to offer this sort of service. A long term relationship with a client is potentially very lucrative. Naim used to expect it of their dealers, and while many still do an excellent job it’s very clear from many posts on this forum that there are plenty who are little more than box shifters.

Yes I quite agree. I am lucky my Naim dealer is only a 10 minutes walk from my house.

Yes, the grammar police contend that it’s (contractions of it is) is correct whereas it’s (possessive of it) is not. So if that’s (contraction) correct then why is RWCs (possessive?) not correct (RWC’s post). Chris’ (possessive after an s) highlights the inconsistency of the Queen’s (possessive) English! Hmmm… I just gave myself a headache ( :confounded: )

:wink:

It’s a funny thing. One of the main reasons that myself and many others like this forum is for the higheer standard of interactions like politeness and tolerance, and a distinct lack of trolling and such.
But the grammar police are much more in force here than on the other forums. They don’t seem to realize that many times we are typing on these on-screen keyboards, at 2 or 3 o’clock in the morning, and couldn’t give a d**n at the time if our spelling or grammar is perfect as that’s not the point.
They appear to insinuate that posters are uneducated because of it.
Life’s too short methinks …

3 Likes

So this thread doesn’t quickly deviate into debate about grammar, I’ve made a some edits and would ask that any further posts only address the topic at hand. Thanks.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.