Would CD5i (Italic) be an upgrade from Linn Karik?

Thank you all for your responses in the thread, it really has been thought-provoking and interesting. Loved every minute of it and lots to consider in future :slight_smile:

Sadly, tonight my priorities changed: I snapped the cantilever on my Krystal. Huge sigh not to say a stifled scream and a massive slap on the forehead. I broke the rule: NEVER go near a stylus with a record cleaning cloth, even if there’s something nasty happening on the record. I did. In a split second…well, guess what happens!
The Krystal was secure in its rest. But the cloth went awol. Wild, even. And I jerked it back…

So a new Krystal is now my funds-target.
The Karik (bless it) will continue toward its dotage.

Grrrrr…I need a dunce cap…

1 Like

That is so frustrating…but gives you the chance to freshen up / replace your cartridge…and we all secretly know vinyl is better…

1 Like

Do you have accidental damage cover on your contents insurance?

2 Likes

Condolences. That happened to me some years ago with (I can hardly bring myself to say it) a Troika.

1 Like

Just to update - Ray at Graham’s Hi Fi has sorted me with a replacement Krystal, largely paid for by home insurance as @anon4489532 suggested, so at least I have music again! And now am MUCH more careful around that cantilever :slight_smile:

My Karik seems to be holding up well, so I’m banking all the helpful advice for future use.

Now to sit and play some records (SF Sorrow right now)!

2 Likes

Quickie update on the CDP:
I just bought a CD5X. Seems in excellent condition.My Karik is still going strong, but IS long in the tooth (c’est moi!) so I figured “why not?!”…Reviews I read suggested it paired very well with my Flatcap 2X so I’m looking forward to its arrival on Tuesday (fingers x’d)…

1 Like

CD5X arrived this morning…

Blimey, it is sooo nice! Very musical, and solid in the bass department. I’ve been playing it all day… the 5X also plays a Naxos Sibelius disc that the Karik could never be persuaded to.
I even like the drawer/puck arrangement (something I wasnt sure I’d like after the Karik’s sweet slider.)
Colour me Happy!

So my thanks @anon4489532 for your suggestion of a 5X upstream! :slight_smile:

That’s great, I’m so pleased you like it. It’s a really super player with a lovely natural sound. You might like to think about a Flatcap 2s or XS at some point. It would give a nice boost to both the 5x and your Nait.

1 Like

Hi @anon4489532, I have a Flatcap 2X, but not connected at the moment. It’s powering the Stageline and Nait XS2.

But…I’m gonna try it for sure :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.