Would you downsize?

Thanks Simon, have you ever considered the ps for the Naim boxes?

Yes…I used to use 555PS and XPS2 power supplies at various times, and when I used my 252 and later 552 they needed their own seperate powersupplies.

Did it yesterday………so liberating. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks - I’m very torn between putting a 555 on my 272 or doing ‘Crazy Ivan’ and heading in a different direction altogether possibly down a mixed chord/Naim road.

I have , switched from a five box Classic 200/202 , HiCap, stage line etc to a Nova and Graham Slee. The big PMC FB1 went and in came Harbeth P3ESR .

IMG_0058

(upload://AcoocVrRAsy3Sx1vnTzWIGHPNYo.jpeg)

to this

The reasons were threefold

1. Knackered knees and cataract plus tight working space made it incredibly difficult to do anything
  2. The Naim Classic all needed a service, getting them out was not too bad, putting them back almost impossible
  3. A desire to modernise , by adding a streaming element

The sound is not as full bodied as once was, but the delicacy and vocals have improved

Mistakes, switching from Michell Technodec to Clearaudio - really a sideways move when I should have upgraded the Technodec with a Technoarm and an Ortofon Black, the P3ESR are lovely speakers but need ‘‘welly’’ to drive them and I would look at ProAc, Spendor , Neat or Amphion as alternatives

1 Like

After 30 odd years of Naim ownership I recently took a punt on one of these as a means to downsize, sort of. Its unheard, not yet reviewed, and I have no idea how it will go but it appears to have a well-specced Faraday’d DAC, analogue Pre-amp, MM/MC Phono Amp, a high current headphone amp, 8TB SSD Music Server with a Roon server as its streamer base. Philosophically, I enjoy taking the odd risk in this highly regulated life. Conceptually, it appeals as a one-box plus power amp(s) or active speakers option that affords me significant versatility in terms of what I plug into it. I also liked the sound of the included life-time Roon membership - although I have no experience of Roon but have grown to hate my Audirvana setup… Initially I plan to run it through my 250DR on the Fraim and sell the rest of my gear except the Fynes. BTW I think the Q Sounds referenced above also use Roon as the internalised Streamer.

3 Likes

Would I downsize? As I’ve “only” got a 272/555 and 250 then I can’t downsize that much but I certainly wouldn’t add more boxes. Each to their own, but the thought of a rack or two full of black boxes doesn’t tick any of my boxes.

Personally I feel that the classic series and the need to add extra power supplies is rather dated and will not appeal to new audiophiles, but what do I know?

2 Likes

They have a built in streamer snd controlled by an app

Now 6 rather than 5 boxes on the rack (+TT) - the green one is rather eye-catching. Not Naim green, though. With that luminescent glow I assume it a fancy power supply for the minuscule grey thing next to it?

1 Like

No it’s a box for my CDs , running out of space.

Got the idea from another forum user, it’s a box in the style of a document box designed for CDs , I’m running out of space for CDs , so my idea was to create a box where the CDs I played most could be stored .

The power supply for the grey box is out of sight on the bottom shelf . It’s so discreet I forgot about it. The grey box is a Graham Slee MM phono stage, again designed with the concept of keeping things simple , it’s rather good. The Clearaudio coupled with that supply give me the sort of pleasure and sounds that my LP12 used to give me.

One thing about downsizing is that it leaves empty holes in the rack . So had to fill them somehow. In fact there were seven boxes -gone to four. The tuner is there as a back up for a rubbish broadband connection - a service is desperately needed.

Some cabling and a power supply is now tucked away on the bottom shelf, again it’s about ease of access

I was originally thinking of moving to 282/HC/250 with a streamer from my 272/250, but now I want to come up with a solution that has a separate streamer and a really good integrated amp. SN3 would be of interest except that it has the phono stage, which my only problem is I am paying extra for something I won’t be using. Would also like to move to smaller speakers than my D-28s.

I doubt the SQ will be quite as good, but I am sure it can be good enough. Especially since when I eventually move I doubt I will have to fill as large a space as I do now.

I just don’t really know much about which integrated amp would be my best choice.

@DrMark …you could look at a used SN 2 which is a wonderful integrated amp.

I would not be worried about the phono stage in the SN 3. I would just demo the streamer with the SN 3 and see if the sound works for you. When the SN 3 was introduced it was $700.00 dollars cheaper than the SN 2 in the US.

If I was not looking at Naim I would take a look at a LUX integrated amp. My dealer sells both Naim and Lux and they are attractive and do have a nice old school look about them.

1 Like

Have finished putting 1900 CDs into 2 flight cases. Both surprisingly accessible once I realised they fit under the bed. Covers are currently on the IKEA Billy but only occupy 3 columns and will eventually be boxed also. Downsizing is going well.

100% yes, less boxes, cables and just clutter, is far better, is my view.
I will probably at some point sell my, 552dr, 500dr, rossini and clock and aura.
Just keep my speakers, turntable and melco and add something like a vitus sia030, with dac and phono add ons, or something like this from another manufacturer.
It’s the way things are going and is fast becoming the way most want, said it before naim need to bring one out asap, maybe even a few different models, up to 500 series spec, as more are moving over to this.
I know right now if i did above, my digital side would be not as good, but not sure on the phono stage side, but the amp/pre amp in the 30 is easily on par with my 500/552.

Even if lesser sound quality?

Most of who? On balance it is the impression given by this thread, but I don’t know how representative they are, and it makes a big difference whether you’re talking about most people, or most people into serious hifi. I certainly wouldn’t like to guess with the latter.

SK, I had a SN2 and HicapDr. My dealer is a fan of Luxman and sells Naim too. He loaned me a Luxman integrated, a month later the SN2 and HicapDr were gone and a new Luxman found a home.

1 Like

Not using the phono stage in the SN3 is not a reason not to get it. You are not really paying an extra here.

1 Like

Looks really nice. I wish you well.

You only have to look, lots of people downsizing all the time now.
Younger generation dont want all the boxes.
Older generation, downsizing house, hearing not so good, the list goes on.
I love my system, but i also know that there will be a time that it has to go.

As for sound quality, well thats always the sticky point, if i can get close then that will probably do, as dont forget as we get older, hearing also goes.
But the vitus sia030 is a brute of an integrated amp, with the added bonus of dac and phono modular slot in design, its expensive, but it does offer that one box solution, all be it a large hot box, lol.

2 Likes

I would, I’m just waiting for the right single box.