Would you drive Linn Keilidh’s with a Linn Magik DSM

I have no experience with the Linn one box players, but then that is also true of the Naim Atom products.
I need to replace the Roksan Attessa and am interested in one of the one box products.
The Linn appeals as it has a Phono Stage built in and it will be driving my Keilidh’s :thinking:
Opinions welcome…

I had a Majik Integrated latest style and is exactly the same as DSM only not a streamer.
Plenty of juice for a decent dance of the tootsies.
There is a moving coil module available too I had one in mine.
:+1:t2:

1 Like

If you could stretch to a Selekt DSM you can install two amps / dac cards and drive the Keilidhs actively … with the Exakt crossovers and driver optimisations and also the Sound Optimiser for room correction … all in one box
I have tried it and was very impressed

2 Likes

That sounds like great fun, but second system in the Media Room. If the system breaks £10k complete, I’ll definitely be moving into a cardboard box under the A14.

3 Likes

I bought mine s/h and sourced extra cards s/h from Linn dealer … total cost was aprox 6k
And Linn are very good with warranty … 5 years transferable no questions asked.
I had an brand new upgraded psu and selector dial replaced FOC

1 Like

This was with Katalyst DAC’s … standard dacs are a lot cheaper

1 Like

Keep it simple and don’t fall down the new Linn rabbit hole. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Just to throw a different thought out there, consider making the keilidhs active. First you’d need to find the “aktiv” cards which don’t seem to turn up as often as they used to but should be obtainable. Then you’d need a multi channel amp or a pair of stereo power amps.

The nice thing is that Linn gear of this vintage is often surprisingly affordable, reliable and still offers great sound quality. In my family room, I run a pair of aktiv Ninkas from a 5125 amp fronted by a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge running Roon and for what it cost to put it together the sound is awesome. FWIW the Mytek has an MM phono input.

1 Like

Yeah, I can’t see myself setting up an active system in here. Not really enough space for all the boxes for a start and not really the intent for this system. Although I did look on eBay and agree that a Linn Keilidh Aktiv system is very affordable these days🙂

I guess that moving this to the HiFi Corner would generate more replies @Richard.Dane

2 Likes

My error, I intended to create it in the HiFi Corner.
I have moved it now🙂

@JMC aktiv Ninkas are each 3 channel = 6 channels; 5125 is a 5 channel amp - I have two such amps + Ninkas included in my AV system; music system is Naim. Always possible to run part aktiv, with just two speaker runs.
I would hardly describe the sound as awesome against Naim; ymmv!

Have an active linn system with keilidh’s (treble card in Maijk DSM and 2 LK140 for the bass) - great fun. Updated the tweeter several years ago (Hiquphon - great improvement). DSM easy drivers the speakers.

1 Like

You can arrange the circuit cards on the back so that both woofers are powered by the same bass card/amp as well, but I can’t speak to the SQ difference between two and three channels per speaker.

The SQ bump from going aktiv was well worth the money for me and it’s peanuts by today’s standards which I figured could have been relevant to the OP.

1 Like

Are Linn rabbits different from Naim rabbits?
(If yes, what happens if they interbreed?)

Don’t you end up with “Upgraditus” of the worst kind, including Naim electronics and Linn LP12’s🫣

3 Likes

My wife absolutely loved this show🤣

1 Like

Yip I’ve got the DVDs
Superb adult humour in the background action. :joy:

I think we may have them too, somewhere😁