Would you drive Linn Keilidh’s with a Linn Magik DSM

Hope there not down there. :joy:

1 Like

I have a modern Majik Integrated which I briefly tried in the office with Keilidhs and it drove them ok. Unlike later Linn speaker generations, I think Keilidhs suit Naim amps a little better than Linn. This was fronted by a '92 spec LP12 though. Not sure what theyd be like with a streamer.

1 Like

I drove Keilidhs with an old Majik integrated from the same era (33wpc IIRC) and it was fine.

Power-wise that is. The Keilidhs, if with a later spec tweeter anfd on Kustone plinths, are an extremely capable speaker. I think they deserved more. Linn speakers really respond to triamping, even passive. If you can get hold of some recapped LK100s your experience will be even better.

1 Like

Keilidhs are easy to drive so will be fine. However, you can make them Active by adding one box. An Exaktbox 8i which contains 8 DACs, crossovers and amps. It’s an amazing thing. And fairly cheap used. You could drive that with a Linn Akurate system hub which are relatively cheap too as they are basically just a streamer. The Keilidhs then would need converting to Active mode by snipping some jumpers on the crossover board but that’s really easy to do. If you shop well you could it all for around £2500 if you go for early models. I have been tempted but not ready to let my 52/135 go just yet. I find it a compelling option that not many are aware of.

Of course you will then need 3 sets of speaker cables :wink:

1 Like

It does sound interesting. I seem to remember some years ago, somebody explains an Exaktbox solution to me when I had to find a replacement for my Intek when it’s volume pot got damaged by yours truly dropping it🫤
I chose an alternative route using Roksan K3 Integrated and Power amps, but was never truly happy with the sound.
I believe my solution will be either Naim Integrated (XS3 or SN3) with ND5 XS2 or Linn Magik DSM.
This is not a system I want to dig a new rabbit hole for, as it’s got to be fully workable by SWMBO as well and it needs to be as aesthetically pleasing as possible or I’ll just get lots of grief😂

Not much in it aesthetically compared to a Nait/ND5XS2 and you do get an active system. Of course you don’t the Naim sound.

2 Likes

Actually, that does look pretty sweet.
Problem is getting to hear what it would sound like before expending funds for the boxes and 2 extra sets of speaker cable… :thinking: :man_shrugging:t4:
Edit Also, does it come with MM Phono stage built in?

If you’re buying second hand then I’m sure you can sell on the Majik easily enough assuming it’s in good condition.

If you’re buying new and can’t dem then I’d say stick with Naim as you clearly like their sound. Modern Linn has it’s own strengths of course but it’s quite different.

It can be configured for mm or mc. In terms of the sound, you’d need to get a feel for the Linn sound. If you’ve heard the Majik then you should have an idea of that already. My take on it is that the Linn sound is a bit lean for my taste in passive form but active is something else entirely.

It’s an option if you are considering the Majik DSM and you can get some sort of satisfactory dem and you like the sound. As has been mentioned above, Naim would be the safer bet.

For me it’s currently the cheapest option in my potential downsize, go active list in future:

1. Used Akurate hub / Exaktboxi - Up to £3k
  2. New Dynaudio Focus 30 - Up to £6.5k
  3. Used Akudorik system - Up to £9k
  4. NSC222/SCM40a - up to £12k (Too expensive atm with 300ps)

3 Likes

That made me laugh out loud thanks. :joy: :+1:t2:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.