Would you get a 252/552 in 2020?

What tape button?

(2016 552).

Now something that repels dust might be handy

The earlier version had tape on the button rather than hdd, but obviously the same

Sorry was the 552, thought it was the same as the 282 :see_no_evil:

Still slightly astonishes me there isn’t a ‘phono’ label somewhere…and hdd does seem an odd label…perhaps DAC? Still we all know what we have connected where!

PS Also I’d love to know how many owners ever use the bottom row of buttons these days!

Me, to listen to headphones while daughter is watching TV.

Well I got a 252 in 2019… so yeah. And indeed, my 252 doesn’t have a tape button either.

As far as I know the state of the art of Hifi in 2020 still values the benefits of a quality preamp…

2 Likes

While the Naim preamp do produce a good sound, the is no doubt that the design and technology could be improved - one key area would be on the volume control which still uses a potentimer - while a resistor ladder type used in the statement preamp and the NAC272. (not usre what is used in the the Nova and the newer streaming products give not only a more flexible volume control - more useable range, no shifting of balance at lower volumes

For Naim to keep producing these ‘traditional’ preamps means there is no development costs and yet the prices keep increasing every year…

I know that the DR technology gave a boost in performance, but I think Naim could further improve the sound if they bring these pre-amps more up to day

4 Likes

The manual doesn’t keep pace with the product by the look of it.

Naim used a resister ladder on the Nait 5 and 112(x) with individually adjustable sensitivity of the inputs. They dropped it and it didn’t make it to the higher end products. I had a Nait 5, but didn’t keep it long, the 112x was discontinued for the 122x which seemed to be regarded as an improvement in most quarters.

I don’t really care what the buttons are called. On my 252 phono is “aux2” and the NDX2 (which is only used for Roon) is “CD.” They work to play my music. That’s where the joy is. Now if it didn’t have the bank of tape monitor inputs – like a 202 – I wouldn’t miss them.

I would like a better volume control. After going through 202, 282, and now 252 I will say I hate them all.

1 Like

One of the outdated features of the 552/252 is that they are still controlled by a remote. Ideally, I would like to use iPhone/iPad to control them.

2 Likes

It’s time to upgrade these products, make them benefit from a modern digital experience like on the 272 for input selection and volume control. Even if SQ can’t be improved, no reason for functionalities or interface to remain in the 80’s. A product refresh would show some commitment from Naim to continue investing on high end separates for the future.

4 Likes

552 DR 500 is “top of the mountain” for me. The longer the spec remains the same/similar, the longer the support window. At this level, stability is a blessing.

Now, maybe Naim should “innovate” to work up interest and cause product movement; but, as a happy customer, it is hardly in my interest to encourage it. Besides, there is market value in being known for not making capricious changes — a characteristic that tends to attract me.

Nick

4 Likes

I had a 252/SC2/250.2 stack for a while but found the returns to be fairly diminished by the time I got there. I have no interest in accumulating another stack of expensive boxes. I’m very happy with my SU currently, I would never have expected one box to sound so good. I’ll be adding a 250DR in the coming months and a 272 after that. If I’m still compelled I can go to a 555PS from there and have a three box juggernaut.

2 Likes

and then…

You can see where I’m going with this.

4 Likes

I bought my 552 new a couple of years ago… it really is very enjoyable, and I recommend anyone to buy one if they can. The 552 and the Hugo original are the best Hi-Fi components I have ever purchased. The 552 is one of the best preamps in the world, and in a Naim system at least the Preamp is the heart, and the most crucial electronics component, of a system and brings everything else along with it.
I can say once I got my 552 the niggley upgrade urges subsided and if I did try other components it was more about curiosity about what they do rather than striving for SQ through some inherent dissatisfaction.

Now it is true there is some hyperbolic rubbish discussed when referring to the 552… like it makes music. Etc… clearly it can’t make music … but it is hugely capable, enjoyable, versatile, timeless and a Hi-Fi icon… If you can afford one, try and get one… it’s not so painful if you can trade in your previous quality Naim NAC. It is very unlikely you will regret it.

What is nice about these products, not only are they supremely capable, but with their almost timeless qualities they stand apart from the crowd of relentless upgrade cycles of lesser consumer electronics … like you expect from a true classic, first class.

3 Likes

I use them regularly, including last night to make an analog to digital recording . Also, anybody using a Headphone amp will use them as well.

I think the lack of a phono label is to ensure that nobody is confused by it - there’s no internal phono stage, although of course the AUX2 input can power a Naim phono stage.

One of the nicest things about the horrible buttons used in the earlier NAC52, 82 etc… was that you could change the labels around. I still have some sheets of labels from my old NAC52 but sadly they don’t look so good stuck on the NAC552’s source selection buttons…

1 Like

I remember my 12s didn’t have an input labeled phono. It use the rather quaint label of ‘Gram’.

1 Like

Erm you can. If you use system automation on the NDX2 or ND555, they can be controlled via the Naim app. Both input selection and volume. (however the NDX2 / ND555 needs to be powered up).

2 Likes