XPS Classic

Will XPS classic, not olive power a 272 or do I need XPS-2 ?

There is - AFAIK - no such thing - @Richard.Dane - ?

The XPS ā€˜Classicā€™ is the XPS2. Before that was the Olive XPS.

Not sure that an Olive XPS can/should power a 272ā€¦?

There was the original (Olive) XPS, then the Classic look XPS2. The original XPS should not be used with the steamers. You should look at either the XPS2 or XPSDR.

Beware that some original olive XPS units were given fascia updates to the current Classic look, but remain the same under the lid.

2 Likes

Thus the more specific advice in the manual which says that XPS serial numbers below 188015 are unsuitable.

2 Likes

I see, thatā€™s where I am getting confused, the one Iā€™m looking at is probably an olive dressed in a classic case.
Cheers

You can easily tell by the feet and the back panel, which both remain the same as on the original (because they are).

The ā€œXPS2ā€ is still called ā€œXPSā€, if you look at the back - which is a bit misleading (unless the one Iā€™ve seen is an olive one in disguiseā€¦).

Samclause, agreed, Confusing.

1 Like

Yes, it can be confusing, however, the style of the back (shown in IanRobertMā€™s image above) and the feet are a clear giveaway that it is the Classic (the DR logo also is another give-away here, but of course wonā€™t be on earlier non-DR versions). The earlier olive rear panel is very different.

Hereā€™s a picture of an olive XPSā€™s back side, courtesy of the Cymbiosis website:

DSC_0089-1-570x379

1 Like

The risk of moisture damage is too high

4 Likes

Apologies, overzealous iPhone autocorrectā€¦,

4 Likes

Soā€¦ the designation ā€˜XPS2ā€™ is incorrect - ??

No, XPS2 is how the Classic XPS is commonly referred to in order to distinguish it from the earlier Olive XPS.

1 Like

Yet, on the Naim Audio website, it just says XPSā€¦?

Even the Product History does not use the XPS2 designationā€¦?

As @Kompressor1 said above. Confusingā€¦ :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Yes, thatā€™s right, as far as Naim are concerned itā€™s an XPS, in much the same way as the NAP250 has always been the NAP250, or the HICAP has always been the HICAP. XPS2 is how it has commonly been referred to by most people in order to distinguish it from earlier models, in much the same way as people also refer to the later Classic NAP250 and the NAP250.2, or the later Classic HICAP as the HICAP2.

2 Likes

Also.

The burndy cable that came with the XPS2 was not the same as the one that came with the olive XPS, it was designate SXPS.

1 Like

The S-XPS Burndy arrived part-way through the XPS2ā€™s life. The first XPS2s came with the black XPS Burndy.

2 Likes

Somewhat confusing for non-Naimees. A bit like the XS-2 which was completely different from the XS2 which replaced the XS, or the CDX2.2 which was still officially called the CDX2. Thatā€™s part of the fun of owning Naim gear.

Hah! Iā€™ve just posted a very similare question about this ā€œ2ā€ designation, although more specifically in reference to the Hicap and Supercapā€¦

I, too, was a little confused as to whether it actually is an illusive model, or just a colloquialism.
Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one!