XPS DR Circuit Breaker issue?

My newly installed XPS DR sometimes breaks the main circuit when powering up. Faulty device or do I need to change something with the main circuit breaker? Installation in our house is quite new, never had any problems with other electric devices.

You could try a Type C circuit breaker. Also, order some genuine spare XPS fuses from a reputable Naim dealer. Just incase.

1 Like

So I guess this is not an unusual problem with xps? XPS fuse is still ok.

Apparently not. FWIW - my XPS DR has chewed quite a few fuses but never tripped my mains circuit. On the other-hand my Naim dealer said their XPS DR used to trip their mains circuit quite often, but not fusesšŸ¤”

1 Like

@Desmond seems to have a similar issue. How did you get that sorted out, @Desmond

So does the XPSDR have a greater inrush profile than the XPS?

Why is that?

The issue is not unusual. I solved the problem by instaling a special audio breaker (google kemp-elektronics-cylindric-fuse-cartridge). This is a Siemens product and should be available in a lot of countries.

But what you appear to be suggesting is that the ā€œproblemā€ should be solved upstream of the XPSDR, rather then correcting the control of inrush current of the XPSDR?

Thereā€™s no difference with the inrush current regardless of the regulation type.

Iā€™ve had my Supercap and XPS internal fuses blow during a very short power outage. No breaker tripped though.

Now that really made me laugh!

PS. I used to do this stuff for a livingā€¦. But, hey ho :rofl:

2 Likes

My old xps had a habbit of tripping the circuit if it was turned on too close to turning on my supercap, this has never happened with ps 555 witch is strange.

Iā€™m no (ex) professional but what does ā€œcorrecting the control of inrush currentā€ mean? Is it a faulty unit or?..

Sice I just bought the unit pre-loved from a Naim Dealer I think about sending it back and buy a new one. What do you think?

That means as much as designing a power supply that does not cause any fuses to trip ā€¦ quite normal if you ask me.

However, on this Naim forum almost every member seems to accept these things because of ā€˜sound qualityā€™ ā€¦ there are more appliances which draw quite an inrush current, itā€™s not rocket science ā€¦

2 Likes

exactly what I thought

My question was in the context of the topic, the XPS DR from the OP. Not sure if designing a new power supply or tell Naim to do so is of much help for the OP?

The unit is unlikely to be faulty. This just a ā€˜featureā€™ of the Naim design. The ā€˜biggerā€™ power supplies are even worse!

Many do choose to use a different type of circuit breaker. I wasnā€™t prepared to do this and so I stopped using Naim power supplies and power amps.

1 Like

Could it be something a bit more simple like the ring is already powering a lot of users/devices? With the added inrush from the XPS DR peaking (too) close to the tripping point of the MCB?

Could be. There is an amp, some lights and TV. I see if I cn get a dedicated spur for just my hifi.