XPS DR - I'm a believer

@dknk I found the same actually but I moved from XPS to XPSDR on a CDS3. The difference was not small and it was all in how the emotion in music was conveyed more realistically. Music just sound leas forced and more natural. A great PS.

2 Likes

It’s really interesting, I auditioned the XPS Dr on the NDX2 with my system and found the improvement so negligible.
I found a much much more noticeable enhancement adding a SL interconnect.

1 Like

@popeye I guess that it depends what you are looking for. The addition of the SL interconnect for me was a big in your face improvement that was noticeable in almost all areas of music. The interconnect was a more ‘hifi’ upgrade for sure. The addition of the DR for me was a more subtle change in that sense but what it did in terms of realism was not unsubstantial. This was on a CDS3 though. It brought everything together and it was like the system could just relax and get on with its hob of playing music!

2 Likes

Interesting. I added the XPS DR first, then the SL I/C and both were significant upgrades. Added SL speaker cables and I’m delirious.

1 Like

Apparently how you de-stress and lay out the Burndy has a big impact on the results, might be worth a second audition paying more attention to this. Personally I find the cost of the XPSDR a little hard to swallow despite what gains it might bring, It costs more then my SN3 and similar to a Nova, how can that be justified in terms of cost of manufacture?

4 Likes

Hello Steve
Was the upgrade from a hiline or lavender interconnect?

Oh they exist.

Millenium
Krell
Esoteric

In the case of the latter even dual burndy-like connections are used.

Naim certainly aren’t alone. But most bundle external power supplies with a specific product. Though that is true for the 552, 300 and 500 too.

And Cyrus psxr2

@mickdale I changed from HiLine. The soundstage widened an incredible amount along with an increase in detail etc. The soundstage improvement was just crazy in my system/room. I had a 282/SCDR/300DR/CDS3/XPS2 at the time of upgrade.

@Mike_S the change to XPSDR was from an XPS. There is no option to use a CDS3 without a PS. I was only judging the DR vs non DR. The DR upgrade was however a fantastic upgrade in the sense of the CDS3.

3 Likes

Its not a Naim monopoly at all, its done in a different way, of which i approve. Many other very musical sounding brands have a similar philosophy.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.