XPS-DR making NDX2 worse?

It has been a couple of weeks since I hooked up the XPS-DR to the NDX2. Hadn’t had the ability to do extended serious listening as the in laws are staying with us for a month. My initial impressions were of more slam and oomph and less warmth and bloom. To my ears, it felt as if the sound took a step in the wrong direction after a serious of significant improvements with upgrading the preamp and then the poweramp. I would also say that the backgrounds and silences are less black.

A couple of weeks in and I feel less offended by the sound. Might be breaking in or it might be my ears getting used to it. Would love to hear the impressions of other folks that added an XPS to their NDX2.

1 Like

In 35 years I’ve never heard a Naim PSU make the sound worse.
Is the Burndy the correct way round?

1 Like

Make sure both items are on their own shelves and that the Burndy cable is correctly connected and is well dressed and properly unstressed. This makes a surprising difference - when it’s wrong it sounds just as you wrote, with less “bloom” and a sort edginess that won’t be there when it’s right.

5 Likes

…when I added the XPS-DR to my NDX2 I thought it was a massive improvement right out of the box and love the combination.

I had a SN 2 at the time and have since moved to a 282/250 DR configuration and I am quite happy XPS-DR/NDX2 as the source.

5 Likes

Something is not right. You should hear a definite improvement from the get go.

2 Likes

Seakayaker, how would you describe the improvement, compared to the OP experience?

My current system is almost the same as yours, except speakers (ATC SCM40) and the XPS-DR, which many seem to add into a 282, 250, NDX2 system.

As the ATC speakers are very revealing I’m extra curious about the way the xps-dr should improve on the NDX2. Any thoughts welcome!

1 Like

For me there was a complete uplift in the sound of the music.

This is what I wrote in November of 2019 after I added the XPS DR to the NDX 2 in September. “When I added the XPS to the system there was an immediate difference in the music, wider soundstage, clarity, uplift in the bass, many ‘wow’ moments.”

For me adding the Power Supply was a positive upgrade. A few members have posted they did not find the benefit worth the cost. As with everything in Hi-Fi, your ears, your room, your system influences the sound.

BTW: I do love the ATC SMC 40 speakers when I have heard them at demos at my dealers show room. I do have a pair of ATC SMC 7’s besides my ProAC speakers and they sound fantastic on my system as well.

3 Likes

I too think that something is wrong. The Xpsdr should give a more analogue sound, softer and fuller, more open.

3 Likes

Hi Porphyr,

I certainly do not want to bring you from the curiosity about the XPS DR, but just give an insight of my experience.
I had exact your system (282, 250, Hicap, NDX 2. 2 years ago I first had a demo with de XPS DR. And it brought the sound more towards the sound of my record player. I played a weekend with it, and decided to wait a bit for buying. 2 months later I had a demo of the 300 DR, and replaced it for 3 days with the 250 DR. And I kept on wouwwwwwwing. It had the effect of the XPS DR on the NDX, but only better. But now my turntable also benefited big time. When I took the 300 DR back, it took me 1 day before ordering it. What a positive game changer.
Now I would like to hear what the NDX 2 would do with the XPS DR, with the 300 DR in my system.
So I would recommend trying the 300 DR and compare. Because I thing the trade in of the 300 for the 250 would be sort of equal in terms of money as buying the XPS DR.
Just a suggestion :thinking::thinking::notes::wink:

1 Like

For me, personally, the XPS DR to my NDX 2 is one of the finest upgrades i have ever done. I work very hard for my money and believe me, if this thing wasn’t up to snuff, it would’ve be gone, gorn a very longtime ago…:rofl: Try a different Naim ‘stock’ Burndy cable?:thinking:

3 Likes

It seems from every body’s feedback that something is not right.

My setup is compromised due to stacking of electronics and ZERO cable management in the back due to space and spousal decorative commandments.

Will try to take out the XPS-DR by disconnecting the burndy and hooking up the powerline back into the NDX2 and see if I miss anything. Checking the burndy’s direction and destressing it should be on the “to do” list as well.

2 Likes

I second Richard’s suggestion to check the Burndy. When I added the XPS-DR to my NDX2, there was an immediate and significant improvement.

2 Likes

Thanks for feedback! I guess the 300 and the xps-dr are both candidates. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Yes the ATC speakers are great and seem to scale very well with improvements in the system. If I ever have a second system I would try the scm7 or 11. And some days I dream about the SCM50, but a fair jump in price!

1 Like

I never owned an NDX2, but I have had three or four CDX2s, with or without XPS, DR or non-DR. In the end, before moving to something else, I was perfectly happy with the sound of my last CDX2.2 without XPS.

This is not to make a judgment, but just to say that better is a very subjective condition, and that you should not feel you may be wrong because you don’t like XPS more than no XPS.

Best
M

I have heard the SCM50A at demo with a ND555/NAC 252 and it sounded mighty sweet! I have never had the chance to hear the SMC50’s…

1 Like

I can attest from my experience that this power, made the sound, in nd5xs2 and in ndx2, for me, flat and clinical.
On the other hand, the 555 was a love story, right away :wink:

Are you referring to an XPS? That is not the same as my experience of an XPS. (Slightly confused as to how you managed to connect one to an ND5XS2 without performing major surgery on it!?)

6 Likes

The XPS is an objective improvement to the component it’s attached to. If it’s not there’s something wrong with your set up.

1 Like

I do mean XPSDR.
I have no experience with the XPS.