XPS-DR making NDX2 worse?

I’ve had the same upgrade path and without doubt recognised the improvement - the xps dr is designed to improve sound and that’s exactly what it does. I became an upgrade tragic after the buy and trialled the 555 with a power supply - bingo another smooth transition that matched the full loom afterwards. I think that while the upgrade path can be considered a sales ploy by Naim, when done thoughtfully with matching speakers and interconnects it brings things to a new level. Bottom line is my wife thinks I’m mad and can’t tell the difference so the eye of the beholder is the key. It is an improvement though so just stick with it let it run in and all of sudden you’ll recognise it’s all worthwhile .

1 Like

Just another thought on upgrades - when you lift the transparency it also shows poor recordings in their true light which can be a disappointing experience. However it’s aimed at clarity and when the recording is exquisite so too is the upgrade because it showcases the recording beautifully. Tidal masters with a decent streamer and amplification set up takes on a new world for some systems.

Don’t worry, this is not so unusual as some might suggest. A PSU can make subtle changes to the sonic presentation… once the system is connected in circuit with a NAC etc. (grounding, impedance coupling etc). It is this I suggest rather than any increased ‘transparency’ or other audiophile cliches we tend to use.

Your description sounds like a slight relative loss of the 100 to 300 Hz region… this can give an impression of more ‘slam’ and a loss of warmth, and increased detail… and could only be as little as a fraction of a dB.

We are talking subtleties here, so you might find repositioning/pointing speakers to remove or change reflections in your room might compensate, or you could even play with interconnects etc.

Alternatively it might be a case of get used to it or take it out.

As I have mused several times over the years on the forum, a PSU is not always preferable on a device(and certainly should never be considered an automatic ‘upgrade’), as it can negatively change the balance in your overall system undermining the subtle benefits it otherwise might bring … certainly in my experience… especially when you have built up a system around a source or grown used to a particular source.

So see if you can grow to like the new presentation after you perhaps repositioned speakers… you may get used to it and then notice some of the benefits that PSU is bringing in subtle intonations etc.

3 Likes

Excellent recommendation by Simon in Suffolk - I too overcame initial issues smith a speaker adjustment - I couldn’t believe the impact that 6 inches further apart and toed in made - have go :+1:

1 Like

I also agree with SiS assessment. I also moved my speakers just a few inches from the wall and a bit further apart and it was like an upgrade to my system. I kind of want to move them a little bit more but my room won’t allow it.

Was wondering how things turned out with this thread - interested to hear whether the issue was resolved and whether glorious sound is in play🤞

Hi and thank you for your follow up. I think it sounds better now. Did I get used to it or did it break in? In all cases my in-laws leave us in 10 days and only then would I be able to listen properly. Will take out the XPS-DR and see if it sounds “wrong” as many suggested.

1 Like

Best of luck, keep up posted!

I did not understand if you bought XPSdr new or used it with recent dr update.
In my experience (XPS upgraded to dr) the sound was puffy in the low end at the beginning and poorly finished in the top. After a couple of weeks always on the sound has improved a lot and has continued to improve. XPS dr requires at least a month of running in

1 Like

I won’t put my opinion in on the XPS DR. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grin:

1 Like

Brand new XPS DR

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.