Xps dr

Yes, that’s right folks. I’m now in the market to purchase and upgrade for a PSU to my NDX 2. What do you reckon? in a system that also comprises of a HiCap DR - SN3 - NEAT SX2 speakers, or should i put those funds into a full fat Fraim instead?

Money is burning, sole is churning.

Many thanks and very appreciative for your expert advice in advance.

1 Like

XPSDR. No question

G

4 Likes

Thanks Graham. You seem very sure on that and i do trust your word. I can home demo i guess, but i’m after a ex-demo unit and not sure how i stand in those circumstances. Anyway i could look further into buying new instead. This will be my final box upgrade, so to speak and maybe a 555DR is a step too far? but also reachable, if stretched. Many thanks.

1 Like

I’d consider the extra stretch to 555Dr as very worthwhile. It really lifts the NDX2 and you will be « secured » on a superb streamer-combo for many years that can easily team-up with other upgrades (amps) you might consider for the future
Iver

6 Likes

So, there will be at least two suggestions here. XPSdr or 555. The real answer is to home demo both in your home. But you know all that already.
You will have seen and contributed to the recent thread about my friend who went through a similar issue a few weeks back.
She was quite clear with her choice. Her choice was a 2 ? Year old ex demo unit. She negotiated a significant price reduction. Whilst she was initially wanted to see if one sounded better than the other, once a price was put against her preference the answer was obvious.

2 Likes

I just hope it doesn’t trip out my RCD. :rofl:

1 Like

Seriously: i can’t wait to try this XPS DR out, i’ve never heard it’s effect. I’ve heard what the 555DR brings but in a 500 series system only.

1 Like

…give the XPS DR a home demo.

I’ll be surprised if it leaves the house Stephen! :wink:

At least you will know if you give it a demo…

4 Likes

XPS DR did absolutely nothing for me with the same combo except Supernait2 not 3.
I would look to the 555DR, if you are looking to go no further. However going with either, a Fraim will and should be on the agenda.

4 Likes

I know from experience that the PSUs make a huge difference. If they do not then it’s because one is either lacking in the source department or the system has been connected wrong. Thanks for the thumbs up :+1:

1 Like

It is but i can’t see it triumphing a black box upgrade. Nothing ever does.

3 Likes

I would demo an XPS DR and the 555PS.

See if your dealer can lend you them both and then you can switch between the two every few days. That’s if your dealer is prepared to do that.

You may decide that you prefer the XPS DR regardless. At least by doing an A and B comparison you will know as it’s your last box upgrade for a while.

If you go for the 555PS it will future proof you for any future upgrades. You never know Naim may release a 372 to replace the 272!

Then a full fat Fraim is the icing on the cake.

Enjoy making your decision.

1 Like

Fraim did more for me than the XPSDR. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Maybe, but i would question that. That is not the norm…

1 Like

I did the Fraim at the same time as the NDS and 555PS replacing ND5XS and outboard DAC so it came on alot in one hit!

2 Likes

SL interconnect also if you want the real insite to you music also. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Thank you. I don’t intend in going the separates or 500 series route, it’s just too far for me. Maybe stick where i am but max out my source?

1 Like

I would go XPS DR or 555PS before Fraim in your case.

Fraim can come later when funds permit. It ain’t cheap, even ex demo and used nowadays. Spent £4500 on mine. But that was for 2 bases and an additional 8 shelves! You won’t need that many.

1 Like

I’m thinking the same also. The XPS DR is the natural partner for the NDX 2. The problem i have is i have heard it with the 555DR, albeit in a 500 series system. :joy:

I think you’ll have an amazing system with the addition of an XPSDR or 555PS.

You will absolutely love it. Since I got my NDS with 555PS the difference between that and the ND5XS with external DAC was massive.

And of course with the NDX2 you have the latest streaming platform.

You will be in heaven mate!

1 Like