Xps dr

Hi Nigel, from a recent purchase, and a ‘defected’ purchased laptop, please bear with me while i work out how to synchronise things. Thanks you for your patience. :pray:

My female friend went around the xpsdr/555 issue about 3 weeks ago. Picked the xpsdr and negociated to £2400. 2 year old, ex demo and mint. Box, burndy. The lot. Maybe she’s a good negociater. ( She is).
And, the top and sides are mint too!
She did not enter into the " how much for the 555" discussion as she could hear no difference. Others may. But at £2.4k she was happy.

1 Like

12.0mm chromed hard balls ( from ball bearings) and 3 off 1/2" tap washers, could bring that price down even more. And potentially be more effective!

But it may indicate that the PSU was given rough treatment by the previous owner(s).

The cosmetics are always interesting. The reality is it should make zero differences. But I’m not sure I’d buy it. You’d like to think that whoever would pay for that type of kit would treat it with respect. But some clearly don’t.

1 Like

Yes, I would tend to think if it was treated well or not. Better be self assured, even if it’s not completely logical.

Hi Stephen

I also do not have a smartphone.
I just had a midnight thought.
Is it sensible to take stock of all your major recent changes before plunging into any new purchases?

This could entail:
1 make sure that your speakers are positioned to make the most of the NDX2 and SN3 (with BJC and cable dressing).
2 tune into the sound of the system for a couple of days using a playlist of varied reference tracks that represent your favourite types of music.
3 If you are still in the return window for the EE switch, then try the following tests over a period of days, one listening test at a time:

E.g.:
A. Baseline of router to EE to NDX2
B. Router to Cisco to NDX2
C. Revert to A.
D. Router to NDX2 direct
E. Revert to A.
F. Wireless
G. Revert to A.

Make written very short notes including numerical scores on 1 page of A4 to summarise your reactions/enjoyment of the music.

Dear The Great Roberto

There are very good physics based reasons that that method of suspending the glass is unlikely to give better SQ than the one that Xanthe invented.

To avoid thread drift I will not summarise here the very good reasons that are discussed in that excellent and informative thread on Shelf Isolation.

In my humble opinion your saving of a few quid in this important Isolation design decision would be a false economy.

Jim

1 Like

The fact that she could not hear a difference between the XPS and the 555 suggests something was not right about the test.

2 Likes

Ok, i’m trying to cancel the Fraim Lite and plunge for a ex-demo XPS DR. Just waiting for dealer to call me back. Hopefully i will seal the deal on a XPS DR. :pray:

1 Like

XPSDR on a 272/300DR system. Can I expect good updates in audio quality or recommended to wait for a 555DR? I assume the major uplift in quality is adding an XPSDR on a naked 272 and then there is a little more (some claims they here nothing) added with a 555? So the main suggestion should be, get ANY psu for the 272 to get it going.

I’ll keep the poll running so.

2 Likes

You are a gent👍

1 Like

I should have added an option that Stephen would change his mind…

8 Likes

I think the change in mind is a good decision SQ wise

4 Likes

I still need a decent rack though…either way… :eyes: :thinking:

2 Likes

If all goes to plan i should have it here today, up and running by this evening. Hopefully. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Nice one

1 Like

A decent set is always good, and the XPS DR will have you smiling ear to ear within 20 seconds. I’m quite excited for you having been there and knowing how much your system will please you. Happy days.

4 Likes

With the 300, get the 555DR.

3 Likes