XPS vs XPSDR for CDX2/NDX2

Just to add my 2-penneth as I’ve just bought an XPS2 DR to use with an n-DAC. I had the choice from 2 second-hand (2003) units - one original, one with DR upgrade - for the difference in price it was a no-brainer!

4 Likes

Me too. You will be amazed at the improvement!

1 Like

For me the Non DR version sounded better with the nDac.

3 Likes

“For me the Non DR version sounded better with the nDac”

Yes I’ve heard this mentioned before. I can’t find it now, but someone in the forum suggested that, actually, the non-dr version is a better bet for the nDAC. I seem to remember that what they were saying, was that the nDAC is pre DR tech and that the dr upgrade in the XPS is therefore redundant. Perhaps someone can elucidate this for me :-).

I doubt that Naim themselves would lean towards this viewpoint. It is usually expressed by older posters who have a fondness for the pieces of their earlier days with Naim. Nostalgia is a potent thing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hm. That sound strange to me. The DR-tech was implemented in the power supplies for the pre amps and the pre amps predated the dr-tech by approximately 12 years iirc.

It’s hard to see that a better regulated power supply would be a performance degrade over poorer delivery of the same power rails …

1 Like

For me the non-DR 555PS certainly sounded a little better than the DR version on an NDAC, although I couldn’t say whether the same applies to the XPS. This did seem to be the consensus here on the forum a few years back.
In my relatively limited experience this is the only case of a non-DR setup sounding better than DR. I certainly wouldn’t say that it applied to any preamp power supply, or to a 555PS on an NDS or NDX2.

1 Like

Well in my defence and being truthful - I went on recommendation - as I said mine is a 2003 unit so was non DR - but it has had the upgrade!
In my system in my room it works a treat and I’m more than happy with the improvement!

Indeed. I know what you mean. :slightly_smiling_face:

Interesting. Thanks @SimonDC . Trying to save money with non-dr tech might not be the way to go then after all…hmmm…

Thanks @ChrisSU. I’m going to listen to 555 versus 555dr when I get a spare minute - and also when my dealer is in a good mood :smile:. He puts up with me regularly popping in to listen to stuff knowing full well that I’m not purchasing…

2 Likes

Yes. I wish I know more about this stuff…

I had a CDX2 and added the XPS2 after a year. Auditioned the 555PS and an XPS-DR. The XPS2 turns a good, competent CDP into what was described at the time as a world class one. I’m not sure we’d say that now but nevertheless it was a significant leap. The 555PS exposed the timbral weaknesses of the CDP and the XPS-DR was different. For some people that will be better but it was easy to see how for others it would not. The XPS2 showed the best of the CDX2 but, for me, the XPS-DR lowered the noise floor but closed the sound in. Every album became less alive and sounded as though it had been recorded in a smaller environment than with the XPS2. YMMV.

4 Likes

Looks like an xpsdr out of phase sector…

Interesting @mikehughescq - thanks. Your comment makes sense to me, because I always consider Naim to be a system builder. So with that ideology in mind, I’m inclined to believe that the older sources have more synergy with their older power supply brethren. Maybe? Perhaps? Just got listen I suppose…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.