XPS2 or 555ps

Well I think you are right but not quite…mine had such a profound effect I had to reposition speakers…then every thing was better detail,bass,timing just fabulous…

XPS2 is fine for a CDX2 but the 555, although broadly very much better, starts to expose its weaknesses. On an NDX2 it’s 555PS all day long.

3 Likes

My friend is off for a demo today. By now, the preference should be known.
I’m told she is taking her own NDX2 and trialling a 555dr and XPS2 power supplies.
I have no idea how this will go…

Right for those who are interested, this is how it went…

Dealer started with the xps2. All good, she could hear the improvement. Then the 555. Same again, an improvement. But no more than the xps2. Exactly the same was her comment. Better, but both the same.

2 Likes

Not what i heard when i have listened to the pair of power supplies but that does not matter, they have saved a lot of money if they are happy👍

1 Like

She says she went back and forth with the xps2 and 555. Trying to get the 555 to earns it’s price tag. And she got a good price in the end on a xps2. The dealer said that the xps2 comes with the Burndy, whereas the 555 doesn’t. So if you do like the 555 you are faced with another cost?
Does that sound right?

Possibly, my streamer came with the burndies needed. If i had an NDX2 and was not likely to upgrade, i would have bought the XPS2 dr too, glad she is happy.

Just a mere ND5xs2 user myself. I’m not not burdened with such issues.!

1 Like

…not yet perhaps?

That is an inevitably I’m currently resisting!

1 Like

Is the XPS2 what I know as the XPS DR?

Yes. I say yes, I don’t actually know. But I think so.

That was my experience back in 2008 when I did the pre DR comparison. Really wanted the PS555 to be a no brainier - but far from it. Interestingly the change to an XPS DR many years was a no brainier. All on a CDX2.

Unless you have an (higher) end game in mind, I think it’s all too easy to be sucked into upgrading in big steps and create an unbalanced system. Then you start to notice the next weakest link and it becomes a distraction. I find it much more satisfying when a system is balanced and you can just get on with enjoying music.

The 555 is no doubt better in many ways but other upgrades are probably required to make the most of it. Synergy and balance - I think your friend made the right choice.

3 Likes

I don’t think so, if I understand you correctly.

And I guess that was sort of my point in the original post.
The 555 has two burndy outputs, one of which is no use to the NDX2 and other devices. So that must mean there are bits of the 555, no matter how good, that the NDX2 or others can never access.
So, take those away from the 555, and what is now the physical difference?
Perhaps there isn’t any?

1 Like

The transformer is 40% bigger. There will most probably be other differences aswell.

But that 40% might be to drive the bits that a NDX2 doesn’t need? There will be extra capacitors and DRs, again to drive the bits not needed by a ndx2.
The second socket drives a dedicated circuit for a cd555 clock.

Like ordering a 3 course meal and only getting dessert. Dessert might be great but you will always wonder about what you missed :joy: (especially if you paid for it !)

Or like not buying a Ferrari because there’s a super eco mode button you won’t ever press

1 Like